GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought a 1997 Chevy 1500 W/T and it had an aftermarket Pioneer DEH p580mp deck in it and it was all messed up...two speakers had lose wires, antenna wasn't plugged in..etc. I took it all apart, rewired all the connections with new tape, and wired in 2 Memphis Audio door speakers. It sounded great, except one of the MA speakers wasn't working like it should...it was only getting high end from the tweeter, so I swapped it for a pioneer and while I was wiring up the pioneer all of my sound cut out. I, once again, ripped it all apart and rewired all the connections and I still get no sound. Fuses are all good including the 10a fuse in the deck behind the harness. I can see that it is on, playing a cd and tried the tuner...but still no sound...not even a small hissing or anything. It's like my speakers aren't getting any juice from the head unit at all.

·
Baseball
2,306 Posts
when you rewired, did you snake completely new speaker wire through the dash? had to do that on my sisters grand prix because the wire was cut in the middle

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, I didn't. I was hoping I wouldn't have to. Like I said....it all worked just fine. It cut out all of a sudden like someone hit the power switch ya know but the deck still works fine...just no sound.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
UPDATE!!! I grabbed a spare door speaker I have and wired it directly to the harness wires that come out of the deck. It was real static-y like a blown out speaker so I thought maybe it was bad, so I undid all the connections from the stereo harness to the dash wiring and tried each speaker individually and they all sound like that...lots of static, muffled, almost similar to a blown speaker. Now what!?

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
are you twisting the wires together or using proper connectors?

·
Registered
378 Posts
Twisting...it's never done me wrong
IMO that's the problem you need to at least use butt connectors for connections I would solder them then cover with heat shrink. Twisting them won't get a perfect connection and cause you a headache down the road. Just my 2 cents

·
Premium Member
7,892 Posts
UPDATE!!! I grabbed a spare door speaker I have and wired it directly to the harness wires that come out of the deck. It was real static-y like a blown out speaker so I thought maybe it was bad, so I undid all the connections from the stereo harness to the dash wiring and tried each speaker individually and they all sound like that...lots of static, muffled, almost similar to a blown speaker. Now what!?
Twisting...it's never done me wrong
It's probably the HU, off chance it could be a poor ground. Twisting and taping is a bad bad idea. Something like that with tape coming loose could blow up a HU, and cause the issues you're having.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts