GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
U-Turn Master
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife's AC in her 2001 Yukon has a loud sound coming from it. (sounds like a playing card in the spokes. lol) The noise is more prevelant when on recirculate than on fresh intake so I assume something like a leaf or plastic bag got sucked into the intake. I changed the cabin filters and did get some debris out, but the noise is still there. Where should I go from here?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Remove the cover under the dash(7mm screws). Unplug the blower motor. Disengage the tab while turning the blower motor counter clockwise. Then take out the leaves.

·
U-Turn Master
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, am I on the right track, I unpluged the blower motor. Where is the tab that I need to release. The only one I see is the tab holding in the door for the filters. see attached picture.

Attachments

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
I'm gonna have to do the same thing this weekend .. I have my cowl out to smooth to be painted, and today I noticed some noises when I ran the A/C fan .. some crap has probably got down in there. I'll check my A/C filter out while I'm down there.

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
The scumbag at GM that put that one bolt under the center console, I want to rip his nuts off. I can't get to the damn thing, I have it about half ways out.

It looks like I can get to the blower though without it .. I'm dumbfounded like the other guy, what tab and does the blower motor real turn and come out?

I haven't even figured out where the filter is, although I've only looked for it one time so far, fooling with that damn 7mm bolt :flame:

·
Registered
42 Posts
That dangling plug is for the blower resistor. In the picture I see one more cover(dome shaped on the right side), it has 5.5mm screws holding it on. the blower is under that.

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
BACKYARD88 said:
That dangling plug is for the blower resistor. In the picture I see one more cover(dome shaped on the right side), it has 5.5mm screws holding it on. the blower is under that.
Yeah and the back one is a bitch to get to .. I got the cover off with the 3 7mm screws ... again I say whoever designed it and put the ones screw behind the console is an idiot! I doubt I will puut that one back in if I can get it to hold well with the other 2.

I assume the cabin air filter is under the cover marked in yellow?

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
Beyond Static said:
they're definately not idiots. The purpose is so that people will get fed up taking it out, and bring it to the stealership. :imo
Nah, I just have to get a small swivel and I can get at it .. or else get a 5.5mm open in wrench .. smallest I have is 7mm right now.

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
bcubed said:
Nah, I just have to get a small swivel and I can get at it .. or else get a 5.5mm open in wrench .. smallest I have is 7mm right now.
I got my swivel and my new filter .. it came with 2 :think: so I dunno if I just have an extra now or if there is a pre and post filter.

I will post some pictures tonight, anyone with a 99 up truck over a couple years old, you probably need to replace it! My truck has never gotten real dirty, or went down dirt roads, but my filter is nasty and smells musty, funky. :insane:

·
Registered
41 Posts
What swivel do I need to get, & do they sell the in cabin filters at auto part stores or Wal Mart? I'll be doing the same thing to my wife's 01 Yukon, as it's making some weird gurggling noise when her ac is on.

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
fluxu8 said:
What swivel do I need to get, & do they sell the in cabin filters at auto part stores or Wal Mart? I'll be doing the same thing to my wife's 01 Yukon, as it's making some weird gurggling noise when her ac is on.
You have to use a 7mm and 5.5mm socket, those are 1/4 drive sockets so I bought a 1/4 swivel, which made getting the bolts out easier. Auto Zone had a filter for $20 but it was backordered, I went to the stealership and paid more but they had it in stock. I need to post a picture of the old versus the new, its drastic .. and like I said my truck hasn't really seen any dusty conditions.

·
Registered
41 Posts
bcubed said:
You have to use a 7mm and 5.5mm socket, those are 1/4 drive sockets so I bought a 1/4 swivel, which made getting the bolts out easier. Auto Zone had a filter for $20 but it was backordered, I went to the stealership and paid more but they had it in stock. I need to post a picture of the old versus the new, its drastic .. and like I said my truck hasn't really seen any dusty conditions.
Yeah...that'd be cool if you could post a pic. My wife needs some ammo so she can do her "Told you so" shit, as she's been telling me her cabin filter needed to be changed...only cuz some grease monkey at Super Lube tried to upsell some shite!

·
Member #66
4,024 Posts
when i have the AC on in my 03 silverado for a while it starts making a sound that sounds like someone is breathing really hard (HHHHHHHAAAAAAA - not laughing, lol) anyone else have this problem?

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
Ok, if your A/C fan is making noises, this is probably why.

acfan.gif

It came right out as someone said, you pull the plug off the motor and then theres a tab you have to pull down and turn the fan till it comes out .. well I broke my tab off taking it off, but it sits in there so tight I dont see it rotating and coming out. Even if it did the cover is under it and held in by 2 screws .. Im gonna clean mine out and then stick the shopvac hose up the hole and clean out up in there .. I might take the blower and allso blow out in case any debris is trapped.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts