1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Truck:
2008 Silverado Extended Cab 4.8L V8 2WD

First off, Let me say a couple of things:
1. SORRY FOR REDUNDENCY AND I'M SURE THIS TOPIC HAS BEEN COVERED MILLIONS OF TIMES BEFORE, I AM SORRY.
2. I searched for RCD / Race Car Dynamics, nothing.
3. I know absolutely nothing about mechanics of a vehicle / suspension lifts.. so most of the time all of this seems like another language.
4. I am open to listen to the pros / cons of all lift kits.

What I want:
1. 6" Suspension lift
2. New Gears
3. 35's and 20's
4. Level truck.. I am for sure not interested in the Cali lean
5. This is my daily driver and I plan on keeping it for a very very long time. That being said, price doesn't really matter because I would rather go full out and spend the money to do it right the first time than to pay for it down the road.

There's a shop where I see lifted trucks parked outside all the time and I have never been in, so I decided to stop in the other day. I expressed my desire to lift my truck and put 35" tires with 20" wheels. I told him I was looking at BDS for my lift kit and stuff and blahblah. He recommended RCD suspension for the 2008 Silverados. He did not knock the other lifts, he just said that with his experience (13 years) in the suspension industry (for the lack of a better term) that he thinks RCD is the best overall. He said that if I just wanted a lift and wanted a cheap one he would suggest another brand (not naming names). He didn't say that BDS / Fabtech / Rancho / ProComp were bad lifts, he just said that in his opinion RCD was the best kit out there for the model truck. He said that he would not say the same for Dodge trucks, etc. He said that for Dodge that BDS would be his number 1 suggestion. I also expressed my desire for new gears and he said that he didnt think I needed them. I told him I had 3.23's and then he didnt believe me. Regardless, he said I shouldn't need new gears, but I want them anyways. And J-Man suggested Yukon gears (4.56 / 4.88 for 35" tire) and said that he's getting his soon. So after talking to the guy at the shop for about an hour and a half about stuff, he had persuaded me a lot and I came to the conclusion that I was going to get the RCD 4WD (even though I have 2WD, he suggested it. Can't remember exactly why but it made complete sense to me in my head, and you guys know I'm a rather intelligent fellow) which comes with custom Bilstein 5100's that are custom fit for the RCD lift kit and 2008 Silverado. He also suggested that I should get the leveling kit (for the better stance and..) because it comes with 5100's too! So that would be Über leet if I got that set up! He also gave me a couple of booklets to take home and look for wheels. I really like the Moto Metal 951's but I don't want to have wheels that are a dime a dozen, ya know? Tires I am still in the air about, but that depends on the lift and how wide I want my tires to go. BFG's or Nitto Terra Grapplers, I'm pretty sure.. But still not 100%.

This got me super pumped to get my truck lifted!!!! But I want to hear what YOU guys have to say / think about RCD and the quality of the lift as well as any other suggestions.

Thanks a lot, and all help is appreciated.:shake:

Edit: Forgot to post links to RCD and the lift kit.

RCD Homepage
The Lift

·
GMFS Military Member
10,899 Posts
That lift doesnt look like anything special :imo. Id say Fabtech 6" (really an 8"), Rough Country 7.5", or CST 8". Then run 35s w/ 4.56/4.88 gears and a True Trac. Tire brand and wheels are on you of course.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sup Jameson nice of you to chime in.. miss seein your badass truck everywhere. I'll PM you so I dont clog this thread up. I'd still appreciate all you suspension guru's out there to chime in and help me pick a legit lift kit.

As always, thanks.

·
1,847 Posts
That lift doesnt look like anything special :imo. Id say Fabtech 6" (really an 8"), Rough Country 7.5", or CST 8". Then run 35s w/ 4.56/4.88 gears and a True Trac. Tire brand and wheels are on you of course.
:word: I've never heard of RCD :think: RCX is a good brand from what I've seen.

·
FFR Fabrication
8,144 Posts
RCD was definitely a GREAT fucking kit. Well manufactured and extremely well built. My truck rode better then stock with it on. I'd highly recommend it if you're not all about ride hight (it rode pretty low compared to most other kits I've been around).

CST is also another kit to look into. If I were to do a 6-8" lift again, I'd look into the CST.

There's also NO reason you should need the 4x4 kit. It comes with diff drop brackets, cv spacers, etc etc and you have absolutely no need for any of that.

The 5100 Bilsteins were amazing

As for gears - Get them. The dude is out of his fucking mind if he says you dont need them. I ran 3.42's with 35's for 2 years and with 37's for about 6 months. It wasn't HORRIBLE but it's so much nicer with my 4.88's in.

As for your 2 choices in tires... I'd definitely look into the Nitto Terra Grapplers. You mentioned not wanting the 951's because how everyone has em....it's the same fucking way with the BFG A/T's. I saw those on a fucking mini van the other day.

·
GMFS Military Member
304 Posts
I like the 8" CST personally. and with your 4.8 i would regear as jameson stated. As far as motometal 951's they are a good looking wheel in chrome IMO but definately not rare.

·
GMFS Military Member
10,899 Posts
I like the 8" CST personally. and with your 4.8 i would regear as jameson stated. As far as motometal 951's they are a good looking wheel in chrome IMO but definately not rare.
Me too, I love the HEIM steering :bawl:

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
RCD was definitely a GREAT fucking kit. Well manufactured and extremely well built. My truck rode better then stock with it on. I'd highly recommend it if you're not all about ride hight (it rode pretty low compared to most other kits I've been around). The 5100 Bilsteins were amazing
What truck did you have it on? How many miles / years? I am not so concerned about ride height, I dont care if i get "that extra inch" or so, I just want it to have a great stance and fit 35's with minimal, if any trimming..

Edit: and yeah there was no doubt in my mind that I was going to get new gears.. idk why he thought that I wouldnt need new gears...

·
FFR Fabrication
8,144 Posts
What truck did you have it on? How many miles / years? I am not so concerned about ride height, I dont care if i get "that extra inch" or so, I just want it to have a great stance and fit 35's with minimal, if any trimming..
The truck in my sig has the RCD and a 3" body lift with 37's. It was on for 45k miles and 3 years. Definitely provided a GREAT ride.

·
FFR Fabrication
8,144 Posts
not that they are the same exact kit or anything since we have different models, but have you had any problems or any concerns at all with it?
I sold it a few months ago and regret it every day....No problems....EVER....

·
VMax CC
207 Posts
I would go with the cst lift because of the heim steering, and money is not a concern, also be able to fit 35's the easiest.

·
FFR Fabrication
8,144 Posts

·
Fortune Favors The Brave
6,321 Posts
What shop in AZ was this?

The dude has lost his mind if he doesn't think you need gears, your 4l60ewill take a shit quick.

RCD=great kit but like others have stated there are better kits out there

·
FFR Fabrication
8,144 Posts
No fabtech, no pro comp, no rancho IMO.

CST, BDS, RCD, IMO

1 - 20 of 26 Posts