GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I know how stupid this is going to sound, but Im gonna throw it out there anyway..

What exactly is it that makes the ride quality so much stiffer on a lifted truck vs. stock suspension. I have an '02 2500 with a 6" RCD, 35" ProComps and 18" wheels. I took a good look at the RCD components and the changes that were made when it was lifted, and to me it seems like the only things that would actually change the way the truck rides would be the shocks and the torsion bars. Are those really the only 2 things that make the ride SO much different? And if so, hypothetically if I was to swap out my Bilsteins for a set of super soft shocks and "un-crank" my torsions, would the truck ride like it did stock?

Again, I know the question sounds like it's coming from a complete idiot, but when I got to really thinking about it I couldn’t come up with additional factors that contributed to the ride change.

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
if you have to crank the bars on the rcd to get the 6 inches of lift then thats why.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
The stiffer sidewall of the tires makes the ride a little harder. with the IFS, the brackets just simple move your suspension away from the frame making the higher ride height. its the same susp. as before not like adding bigger leafs to a solid axle. ...if that makes any sense?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The stiffer sidewall of the tires makes the ride a little harder. with the IFS, the brackets just simple move your suspension away from the frame making the higher ride height. its the same susp. as before not like adding bigger leafs to a solid axle. ...if that makes any sense?
Exactly. That makes perfect sense, and that is why I asked the question because if the suspension is basically the same just futher away from the frame, there is a component that is making the ride drastically different.

There is still about 3/4 of an inch of thread left to crank the torsion bars so I know they arent "maxxed" out, but dont know where they sit stock either.

·
GET SOME!!!
589 Posts
The tires make a big difference, epecially the tri-wall ProComps.
Lower your air pressure down to about 50 psi and that will help a little.

If you really want a BIG difference in ride, call your dealer and ask them to look up GM Campaign PIT3009J. Order the parts that is listed in the campain. The parts are new redesigned rear cab body mounts and body washers. The new mounts are soft and have fluid in them. Its easy to replace them yourself, so dont pay the dealer to do it.
Do that and get back to us on the ride quality. You WILL be amazed!!!!!

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
The tires make a big difference, epecially the tri-wall ProComps.
Lower your air pressure down to about 50 psi and that will help a little.

If you really want a BIG difference in ride, call your dealer and ask them to look up GM Campaign PIT3009J. Order the parts that is listed in the campain. The parts are new redesigned rear cab body mounts and body washers. The new mounts are soft and have fluid in them. Its easy to replace them yourself, so dont pay the dealer to do it.
Do that and get back to us on the ride quality. You WILL be amazed!!!!!
Good info, never knew that.

·
Senior Military Member
5,197 Posts
Basically further explaining whats been said....

It doesn't matter if your torsion bars are maxed out or not. ANY adjustment to them will affect the way your truck rides. So like was previously said, if you had to adjust your bars ANY from a stock setting, there in lies your ride quality problem. The shocks and tire pressure also have a equal affect.

If you set your bars at a 100% stock setting, put your tires down to a 30/35 combo, and get some good quality Beilstein or Edelbrock shocks, your truck should ride like stock, assuming you haven't bought U-shaped leafs.

·
GET SOME!!!
589 Posts
The RCD comes with Bilstiens, so he already has good shocks.
If you have a diesel, dont run those tires below 45 psi. The truck will wonder in the front and your tires will wear faster. If your LCAs are barely touching the lower bump stops, then your sitting close to factory.
The parts in that campain are not expensive. I would definately do it. I wouldnt be telling you to if I havent done it myself and to many of my customers HDs.

·
Bad Luck is all i got.
1,483 Posts
Its about 160 bucks for the set from the dealer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts