GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after notching the frame the driveshaft now hits the rear gas tank cross member. is my pinion angle way off or do i have to notch the crossmember? i haven't really seen pics or read much about doing this.....
 

·
Jason RIP
Joined
·
6,062 Posts
Feed said:
after notching the frame the driveshaft now hits the rear gas tank cross member. is my pinion angle way off or do i have to notch the crossmember? i haven't really seen pics or read much about doing this.....
Did you raise your gas tank crossmember? You might want to do that anyways to keep your gas tank from dragging.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bcubed said:
Did you raise your gas tank crossmember? You might want to do that anyways to keep your gas tank from dragging.
no, i plan on a fuel cell eventually. i don't like cutting up the frame...i'm a pussy :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
158 Posts
Even with raising the gas tank an 1", you will still have to notch the crossmember to lay out. If you don't raise the tank, you will have to almost completly cut out the center of the crossmember to lay out, and even then, the driveshaft will hit the crossmember, if the back is all the way down and the front is up very much!

I hope that helps!
Trey
Scrapin' Innovations
903-407-0690
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bagged01extcab said:
Even with raising the gas tank an 1", you will still have to notch the crossmember to lay out. If you don't raise the tank, you will have to almost completly cut out the center of the crossmember to lay out, and even then, the driveshaft will hit the crossmember, if the back is all the way down and the front is up very much!

I hope that helps!
Trey
Scrapin' Innovations
903-407-0690

thanks...wish i would've known before i put the gas tank and axle back in...

what about the black box that is mounted inbetween the two gas tank cross members above the drive shaft? where is a good place to relocate that? and wtf is it?
 

·
Jason RIP
Joined
·
6,062 Posts
Feed said:
thanks...wish i would've known before i put the gas tank and axle back in...

what about the black box that is mounted inbetween the two gas tank cross members above the drive shaft? where is a good place to relocate that? and wtf is it?
Don't even know what that is, haven't seen it on older trucks.
 

·
Orale Homes....
Joined
·
1,796 Posts
My truck doesn't have that. Must be in newer trucks.
I raised my gas tank X member and notched it. My drive shaft hit too. :read:
 

·
Jason RIP
Joined
·
6,062 Posts
Stealthdump said:
The black box is your charcoal canister that catches gas vapors. I think they relocated it from in front of the gas tank to high center behind the cab. It's logical to have this box higher than the fuel level.

Here's a pic of my '04

elbow.jpg
Nice pic, thanks .. I guess it isn't a big deal for you to take a picture of your gas tank, since you can raise your bed at any time :rocking:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Stealthdump said:
The black box is your charcoal canister that catches gas vapors. I think they relocated it from in front of the gas tank to high center behind the cab. It's logical to have this box higher than the fuel level. QUOTE]


ahh...i see. i'll figure something out i guess........
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Downfall said:
so does the kp layout without moving and notching the gas x memeber? :think:
nope...there would be no reason for this post if it did :crazy:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,120 Posts
bcubed said:
Weird, I've never seen anyone else mention it ... is it a regular cab thing maybe?
:word: i did alot of research before i ordered mine and never heard of this problem maybe i missed it somewhere

i also never heard of this problem on other peoples truck that have similar parrelell 4-links...

its gonna suck if mine hits but i would expect it to since everything has been going wrong lately

:think: :think:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
158 Posts
1st, I raised the gas tank an inch. That helped the driveshaft some, and also moved the tank up so it would be less likely to drag. I then cut a piede of schedule 40 3" pipe in half and cut out the crossmember to fit around the driveshaft when laid out. I used the piece of pipe to fill in the hole and reinforce the crossmember.
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top