GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,... I have a 2000 Silverado 1/2 ton. I have been searching on here and found out how to wire my 241 after I had taken out the 246. All that was needed was to buy the right plug from GM and splice in the Green and Purple wires. I tried this and got no results. I can start the truck up, but when I shift into Drive and give it gas it won't move. The 246 had 3 VSS plugs with the green/purple wires and I have tried all of them. This is my DD so I need to get it back up and running. Let me know if I did something wrong or if you have more info... Thanks.

·
NCOR
8,449 Posts
This may seem silly, but you did add a mechanical shifter for the 241 right and it is in 2hi right?

·
heavy on the skinny pedal
1,732 Posts
yes I'd make sure its in 2wd. even if the vss isn't hooked up right it will still drive and have 1st and 2nd

·
Show Trucks R 4 Gays
478 Posts
Also make sure to keep your electrical. Then you shift your mechanical lever into low push your dash button to low also so at WOT it will shift and just not bang off the rev limiter

·
Registered
4,680 Posts
yes I'd make sure its in 2wd. even if the vss isn't hooked up right it will still drive and have 1st and 2nd
:word:

You might have got the wrong 241, I did that the first time, it bolts up and everything but the spline is to big and just goes right over your out put shaft on the transmission and spins :pow:

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Also make sure to keep your electrical. Then you shift your mechanical lever into low push your dash button to low also so at WOT it will shift and just not bang off the rev limiter
Or remove the TCCM, and jump one of the pins to ground and it will shift just fine in low range.

Not sure what wire that is on the NBS but I can look into it.

·
Senior Military Member
5,197 Posts
:word:

You might have got the wrong 241, I did that the first time, it bolts up and everything but the spline is to big and just goes right over your out put shaft on the transmission and spins :pow:
So you're saying you didn't count the splines before you bolted it up?

·
Registered
4,680 Posts
So you're saying you didn't count the splines before you bolted it up?
Were would the fun of that be, I did not know there were two 241s that would bolt up at the time :shrug:

·
Senior Military Member
5,197 Posts
There's probably 3... if not 4... but yea....

·
NCOR
8,449 Posts
Or remove the TCCM, and jump one of the pins to ground and it will shift just fine in low range.

Not sure what wire that is on the NBS but I can look into it.
Want to tell me which one it is for an OBS so I don't have to go play with the multimeter and I can have speed in lo back?

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
On the 243 tccm plug I think its pin C3. Which is top row (by the clip), 3rd from right, Dark green/white wire. Take that to ground and it should work. I gave this info to Drew to test, but haven't heard if it worked for him.

For OBS auto-crap, it was Pin F7. F is bottom Row (away from clip), 7 from the left. grey/black wire. Works like a charm on my truck, wired to a switch so i can get out of 2nd gear in low range, and not bang off the rev limiter.

Kyle: If you try it and it works, let me know.

·
heavy on the skinny pedal
1,732 Posts
must be nice mine never left 1st with the stock 246 when in low range, and know with the 241 it will shift out of 1st but not at WOT. I think if I change to a different setup the vss is getting move to the t-case adapter so its always reading one to one.

·
Show Trucks R 4 Gays
478 Posts
My 246 in low likes to run spinning though 1st slamming the rev limiter and launches into 2nd. I have been waiting for it to blow up to swap in a 241....I am not sure how it has held up for this long, minus one crack tail housing.

BTW my 246 is the new style that does not spin in 2wd, that is the only reason i was able to keep it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ah crap.... you mean I could have a 241 C transfer case and it will bolt up, but the input is too big? That would suck.... The only thing I did do was measure the O.D. of the front input on the transfer case and it was the same as the 246 so.... I kinda just assumed, but you know where assuming gets you.... Yes is is a manual shifting 241 and I tried all positions and can't get the truck to budge. I got the transfer case out of a 92... thinking now if it was a 1/2 or 3/4 ton.... would it even bolt up if it was the wrong spline count? One more question.... I did try using the rear most VSS plug wires, but is there a possibility that the sensor is bad?? Do they go bad often?

·
NCOR
8,449 Posts
A bad VSS sensor or lack of signal won't prevent the truck from making forward progress. It won't let you shift into other gears or at the right time.

The OD on both 241 inputs for 32 or 27 spline is the same, the only difference is a large chamfer on the 27 spline input OD.

A 32 spline input would bolt up the exact same as a 27 spline to your tailshaft, the 27 spline tranny output would just spin freely in the t-case input. The bolt patterns are the exact same.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sounds like I am a complete moron and got the wrong case.... So to double check before I get another one tomorrow.... Which one do I need? A 241C that has 27 spline input? I have a 4l60e so that has the 27 spline.... did all 1500's have 27 spline?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, I'll give it a try tomorrow.... Thanks for everyones help. I really appreciate it. I am doing this in prep for a SAS that I will be doing soon and was just trying to get some stuff done now so I don't have my truck out of service so long. Thanks again.

1 - 20 of 138 Posts