GMC Truck Forum banner

121 - 138 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
7,870 Posts
1350 cv's are available, but cost a pretty penny. You can find them on junkyard front shafts out of 03+ dodge HD's and some ford (not sure on year) applications.

Are you putting this in a short wheel base rig or going super high or something? Why the need for a SYE and a CV shaft?

·
STOCK TRUCK
1,322 Posts
1350 cv's are available, but cost a pretty penny. You can find them on junkyard front shafts out of 03+ dodge HD's and some ford (not sure on year) applications.

Are you putting this in a short wheel base rig or going super high or something? Why the need for a SYE and a CV shaft?
I'm planning ahead for a 9.5SF swap with the 6 lugs, since it has a 1350 u-joint, I thought it would make for a good match. Which wire did bigred05/you use to run signal up to pin B5 from the selector switch? Also, did you ever figure out the VSS situation? I think you were struggling with it.

On a side note, I noticed you had Plano in your sig. My uncle and his family live there now. There were up here in Cincinnati visiting for New Years. I've been to Dallas on numerous occasions. Kick ass city, I must say!

·
Registered
94 Posts
i am having the same trouble with my COLORADO LS2 4l65 - 241 man WITH a VSS on the back the transfer case.. so you are grounding the 4 low signal to the pcm ? my truck has a ls2 PCM and colorado TCCM .

thanks bobby

·
Registered
486 Posts
Guys, I've got a question. I swapped an np241 in today to replace my np246, but I'm having issues with the wiring. I tried hooking up both sets of green and purple wires to the VSS on my np241 and I had no luck getting the speedo to work. I really need to get the truck back to driveable this weekend so any help would be appreciated. I verified that the VSS is working by swapping a VSS from a different, working np241. The reluctor ring/sprocket is in perfect condition and the vss seats fully.

Any ideas on what else to try? Is there any readings I can take with a multimeter to see if there's an issue with the wiring? The speedometer and everything else worked when I had the np246 in.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Well, I believe I'm using the right wires... but I'm not sure how correct that is. There were 5 connections going to the old transfer case and there were 5 connectors on the transfer case harness. I guess I'll need to double check that today when I get to my buddy's house where my truck is, but like I said that doesn't sound right to me.

That being said, I think the wiring between the 99-00 trucks and 01-02 trucks changed. I also wasn't the one who unplugged the original wiring - my buddy did that while I started unbolting, so I may be off base.

Hopefully I just overlooked the correct wires.

EDIT: Also, there's no chance in hell that I need the driveshaft bolted up in order to test the speedo, correct? I'm just running the truck at idle in drive with the transfer case spinning freely to check the speedometer.

·
Registered
7,870 Posts
Driveshaft shouldn't matter. However you may have to get it past idle. The speedo doesn't really move till 5-10 mph sometimes.

On mine there were a couple sets of greenish/purpleish wires on the drivers side. I tried hooking it up every which way and it never worked. I finally found the ones on the passenger side and that was it.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Yep you were right. I checked it out and the green/purple wires in the harness for the 246 were actually more or less an extension. The actual wires for the VSS were further up, closer to the transmission tail housing.

Thanks for the advice! I found them by following the wire harness from the drivers side O2 sensor like you said.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Side note, I never installed the floor shifter, so....

Does anyone have a NBS floor shift NP241 linkage that they can give me an approximate length on (hole to hole)? I'm going to order some rod ends and threaded rod to make mine. Just let me know if the truck is bodylifted or not (I'll probably be able to account for the difference).

Prefer bodylifted truck specs, but not reuqired.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Got a question. I read earlier that for the 3-pin shift indicating NP241s to get the transmission to shift in 4 low, you ground one of the side pins, run the other side pin to the front diff and then run the middle pin to the TCCM plug.

If I am not running the factory front diff, do I just ground either side pin on the t-case then run the middle pin to F7 on the TCCM plug? Or do I ground both side pins? Or do I need to ground a specific one? I assume I can just get under there with a multimeter and shift into 4-lo, but its so damn cold out, I'd like to verify here first.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Been so long I had to reregister, Anyway I just put my 241 in last night after 3 years of procrastinating. Has anyone ever just hooked up the rear most vss on the trans and completly got aweay from the whole low range shift problem???? Thats what the 2whl trans use so why wont it work on a 4whl. Not like i care if my speedo is correct in low range. So in function it would be a reguler 2whl trans with the turbine speed sensor and if the tone ring is there for the vss it would pick up ouput speed. and it would be like putting a divorced tcase in. The only down side i can see is the speed limiter will shut the stock tune down around 33Mph actual speed when that 3:1 ratio clears 99mph on the dash. But who does high speed low range driving

·
Registered
486 Posts
To bring this thread back YET AGAIN. I finally got around to wiring up pin F7 to the switch on the transfer case.

Since I'm lazy, what I did was find a wire that was already in the TCCM Plug (pin E1, was used for the encoder motor) that was useless now and splice into that underneath the truck. I pliced into the E1 wire (tan color on the encoder motor plug) and the brown wire on the transfer case shift plug, then ran the white plug to ground as previously mentioned. After that I ran a jumper from pin E1 to pin F7 on the TCCM Plug.

Works like a charm. Can't believe I didn't do this months ago. I could've had 3rd and 4th when I went offroading the past few times. :facepalm:

·
Registered
2 Posts
To bring this thread back YET AGAIN. I finally got around to wiring up pin F7 to the switch on the transfer case.

Since I'm lazy, what I did was find a wire that was already in the TCCM Plug (pin E1, was used for the encoder motor) that was useless now and splice into that underneath the truck. I pliced into the E1 wire (tan color on the encoder motor plug) and the brown wire on the transfer case shift plug, then ran the white plug to ground as previously mentioned. After that I ran a jumper from pin E1 to pin F7 on the TCCM Plug.

Works like a charm. Can't believe I didn't do this months ago. I could've had 3rd and 4th when I went offroading the past few times. :facepalm:
I just put an np241 in my 98 in place of the np246 and I only have 1st and 2nd gear in 2wd. What am I missing? I used the purple and green wires to the VSS on the rear of the tcase. It's like it's stuck in limp mode.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Does the speedometer work? If not, your VSS isn't hooked up correctly or isn't working and the trans definitely will not shift.

121 - 138 of 138 Posts