GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my last discussion i mentioned that my 05 Z71 was being retired to offroad use only.
And here is my replacement. It was an easy choice. My 05 has never let me down or had any issues, climbed anything, never overheated, towed over its payload etc.
The old>

5.3L custom trail boss, 4x4, factory 2" lift, g80 rear locking diff, trailor brake controller, multiflex gate etc. Exactly how i wanted it. Had to rush 2 hours away to grab it 24 hrs after it hit the lot.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Are those HDMI ports just below the bumper or slots for the fork lift at the scrap yard when the DoD fails, oil pressure tanks and toasts the engine?

;)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well i dont think i have dod.i have the l82, I dont have the yk9 rp0 but mine was also built way after march 15/21. So i know it doesnt have afm. I believe only l84 has dfm instead. Dont think any had both. So pretty sure it does not shut down cylinders. But its confusing. Anyone want to clear this up?

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
Awww, I was about to say this was the smartest thing GM has done in years. However, I find that they are temporarily doing away with DoD because of the "chip" shortage. Also hear that the mechanics of the doomed system are still there (still has the DoD lifters etc.) it is just not turned on. Oh well.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The chip shortage is BS. Its an excuse to right some wrongs. Aparently a gm source said there were bad batches of lifters that can break due to manufacture flaws. Like those faulty cinder blocks on that bridge.
It seems gm is aware of the problem without admitting its a problem and hopefully are secretly fixing it. I am going to check with a gm mechanic and see if i share the same oil pump part #s as prior models. I havnt seen anyone comfirm that the cam or lifter are actually the same. According to the data below> wouldnt it make sense to just use the normal lifters from cylinders 2,3,5,8 on all cylinders?

Worst case scenario i change to LS2 or 7 cam and lifters right after warranty. the truck is amazing. The trans is miles better than my 4l60 from my 05 5.3 z71. The 05 is amazing which is why i got a 21, so far the 21 is the same but better at everything.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So i got my build sheet from the dealer today, and it turns out scanable door jam QR code DOES NOT give the full RPO code list. Here is a comparrison>> the first is what scanning the QR code gets you>>

Compared to the FULL RPO list below

And as you can see, i did find code yk9 4th from the bottom. Happy about that.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
I read that there are also trucks that came without the auto start - stop.

The ones without afm and auto start stop are going to be most desireable on the used market in a few years. When it’s time to get another Tahoe for my wife I’m going to exclusively search for those.

·
Registered
44 Posts
captain bill, I totally agree about the "chip shortage" excuse being B.S. because HP Tuners will turn off DoD within the main ECM. I don't believe that function is in the fuel pump controller ECM or what ever module that is. I seriously doubt GM has come up with a temporary ECM that doesn't have the DoD because of a specific "chip" not being available. It just doesn't make sense. I would really like to have a GM insider explain this B.S. direction they are trying to get us to believe and laugh at his face.

Yep, GM is very aware of the issue and the "chip" shortage makes for a good excuse to the general public without placing any liability on them for the DoD fiasco in the previous years.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts