GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have headers on my 91 silverado and ever since i've had them installed my check engine light has came on, does this mean that i need a new o2 sensor?

·
Resident Guinea ***
14,535 Posts
Do the old paperclip trick for OBD1 (Pre 1996) and look up the code.

Pulling the computer codes:

Under the dash by the driver's left knee you'll see a connector with two rows of pins. That is the ALDL (Assembly Line Diagnostic Link) connector. Pin A is in the upper right-hand corner (as you're looking at it), Pin B is right beside it.

Bend a paper clip or small piece of wire into a U shape and insert it into both pins A and B so that they are connected together.
Turn the ignition switch to the ON position, but don't start the truck.

You'll see the "Check Engine" (or "Service Engine Soon" on some models) light flash some codes.
Error codes are two digits, and the light flashes out the first digit, pauses, and then the second digit. It will repeat each code two more times (total of three) before displaying the next one. The first and last code will always be a code 12 (flash, pause, flash, flash, long pause, repeat). This code is normal and means that no tach signals are making it to the computer (because the engine isn't started). If you don't get a code 12, something is wrong with your jumper or your computer.

Make a note of any codes that come up! Code 12 will flash 3 times in a row, then whatever has tripped your CEL will flash. Google for it or post it up!

·
Registered
8,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i don't think there's anything wrong with the computer in the truck cuz it doesn't have that many miles on it, i think it could just be that the o2 sensor is further away then it used to be or that it needs to be replaced.

·
Im walking on sunshine!
5,651 Posts
Do the old paperclip trick for OBD1 (Pre 1996) and look up the code.

Pulling the computer codes:

Under the dash by the driver's left knee you'll see a connector with two rows of pins. That is the ALDL (Assembly Line Diagnostic Link) connector. Pin A is in the upper right-hand corner (as you're looking at it), Pin B is right beside it.

Bend a paper clip or small piece of wire into a U shape and insert it into both pins A and B so that they are connected together.
Turn the ignition switch to the ON position, but don't start the truck.

You'll see the "Check Engine" (or "Service Engine Soon" on some models) light flash some codes.
Error codes are two digits, and the light flashes out the first digit, pauses, and then the second digit. It will repeat each code two more times (total of three) before displaying the next one. The first and last code will always be a code 12 (flash, pause, flash, flash, long pause, repeat). This code is normal and means that no tach signals are making it to the computer (because the engine isn't started). If you don't get a code 12, something is wrong with your jumper or your computer.

Make a note of any codes that come up! Code 12 will flash 3 times in a row, then whatever has tripped your CEL will flash. Google for it or post it up!
:LOL: Ill use my code reader, I just hate the flash flash bullshit but it does work.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts