GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy,

Tomorrow i will be purchasing my 20's from centerline. Im going with the tomahawk-Rapids. I was wondering whats the maximum size i can run tire wise? Right now its at the stock position, but i will eventually be lowering it 3/4 or 3/5.

Would you guys reccomend a 275/50 or what? I live in the country and the roads are "so-so" in some places while others there spectactular, so i was thinking i would need more of a sidewall to prevent wheel damage?

Thanks in advance for th help,
Dave

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
you wont get a 275/50 to tuck on a 3/4 or 3/5 drop. You may get the 275/45/20 to tuck if the wheel has a lot of backspacing. A friend of mine had a 2/4 on 275/45/20's and said he hit the fenders sometimes.

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
Matt said:
yeah i think i have 5.5" of backspacing (chrome wheel) with 275/45's. i rolled my fneders and i still rub just a little bit on big dips especially if the wheels are turned. i would prob recommend a 245/40 to be "problem free", but of course that is less sidewall.
I think those would be too small for him, and wouldn't look quite right not bagged .... I almost got the Toyo 255/45-20 .. which is the same tire VicRed has .... It has a little more sidewall than the 245/40-20

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well these have a 5.0" backspacing. I want a wide ass tread, but i figure with me lowering it 3/4 or 3/5 i want something a little thinner on the sidewall.

Could i run a 265/50 or 265/55 all around and be worry free without rubbing or worrying about wheel damage when i hit some of the nasty potholes on the roads?

BTW does it matter that my 96 is a regular cab stepside? It'll be about a month before i can afford the tires but i figure once i can figure out sidewall/tread width i can tire-rack it and see how much there gonna cost, then ill lower it, then ill throw the 20's on...i think 20's on a stock ride height truck would look re-fuckin diculous imo.

Thanks again,
Dave

·
Registered
703 Posts
s3gulit said:
Howdy,

Tomorrow i will be purchasing my 20's from centerline. Im going with the tomahawk-Rapids. I was wondering whats the maximum size i can run tire wise? Right now its at the stock position, but i will eventually be lowering it 3/4 or 3/5.
can you post a link to the rims you are getting please :D

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So are u saying i could "tuck" 275/50's, 275/55's, 265/50's, 265/55's what?

I wish i had those smooth roads and could run a 45 sidewall, they look sweet...but im thinkin wheel damage is possible with potholes.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
it is highly unlikely to damage rims with 275/45/20, i have hit many potholes with not a sign of damage

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Beyond Static said:
you did get damage...somehow your truck seems higher after you hit potholes
at least my truck is always ready to drive, not always in pieces :read:

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
so once again, if you guys are saying 45 sidewalls would be just fine...265 or 275? can i run a 275 all around without rubbing when i turn, hit potholes etc?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts