GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got a question, how hard do you think it would be to convert a automatic obs to a 5 speed. I ahve the whole 5 speed, clutch, slave and master cyclinder out of a 93. Do you think it would be alot of work?

Also trying to find loaction to mount slave on firewall?

·
GMFS MoPar/Air Force Crew
5,457 Posts
Manual is the only way to go. :read: Don't be a pussy, swap it out.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thats the one problem, i did find a 90 last night with new 20"s 5 speed and 350. Very Very clean truck i am going to go look at today, they want 2500 for it i think i can get it cheaper. But i have looked for days for someone i know that has a 5 speed truck to make a template off of, if i had that i wouldnt be so worried about things like the driveshaft lenght, crossmember location, slave cylinder location, and more information about the clutch pedal hangers and so on.... There are not many 88-98 trucks around here like only 1 or 2 built ones i know of..

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
actaully was debating back and forth between a 700r4 with 3500 stall and 4.56 gears, or a 5 speed, 5th gear on a 5 speed has about 500 RPM higher drive thenthe 4th in a 700... so not sure yet still thinking , lol this is not my first truck lol, my dad has owned a gm performance shop for abotu 25 years now, we specialize in only gm but not many manuals.. mostly all auto;s

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
LOL i aint goin to GM for nothing unless i have to. I know how they work, my uncle works for central chevrolet up here..
Think i am gonna go pick up a 90 obs swb 5.7 5-speed tomorow. Truck is in really good shape and is already setup for a manual.. So ill go ahead and build this truck and just lower and nicely do my yukon to pull my boat with..

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
383 stroker,
1.6 crane roller rockers,
full roller comp cam,
forged flat top pistons,
Forged crank,
dart 2 aluminium heads,
full length headers,
40 series flow,
weiand 142 blower 8 psi,
probable a 700r4 with 3500 stall
4.56 gears,
28" tall tires
, N e thing else lol

G

·
It would be super simple with a donor rig. There should already be a place in the firewall designed for the master cylinder, and I think the pedal bracket is designed to accommodate the clutch pedal. I don't know what would be required electrically though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
im doing it too auto sucks after replacing 3 yes three I have a 96 k1500 5.7 z71bought because trans was just rebuilt but had front end damage than a year later trans blew reverse I replaced with a family members 4l60e out of 97 4.3 blaser just needed to get a wider trans to transfer adaptor it had 20,000 and was a gm goodwrench then blew 10 bolt rear end so I took a trip to get a 6 lug 14 bolt rear end with really low miles after it was in I went for a test drive and something blew in that junk 4l60e so now after finding a donor truck 1992 k1500 4.3 z71 w/5 speed getrag I was told the hardest part was to get the clutch pedal in and it really just bolted right in after I moved a lot of wires I had in the way the 96 had one stud (bolt) with a rubber protective end other had a threaded hole.... and on the firewall there was a imprint the size of a spray can cap right next to the brake booster ..and on the donor truck I made a copy of the masters hole for the hydrolic with a line straight up and a line left to right (a cross) even if I was off didn't really matter be cause the mount for the clutch pedal would make it mount correctly (it has two stud bolts welded to the bracket where the masters slave bolts to it I found that the donor truck 1992 has a 11'' clutch the 1996 would have had a 12''? would a 12'' fit inside the bell housing im really just winging it as I go talking to a lot of people along the way a lot said that a clutch pedal bracket from a 1992 would not fit into a 1996 (W R O N G) fits like a glove but the brake pedal from the 1992 wont work (easy fix) leave it and cut the pad like I did ill post pictures showing it does work ((so far so good)) as long as I have the 4l60e out im replacing the oil pan and rear main seal $60 for the oil pan $25 gasket and think $20 for seal and gasket (I take my time and clean and paint things along the way) hopefully everything from the donors 5 speed will bolt right up witch ever way I end up going (ill still have to hook wires to shut cruise off when clutch is pushed in plus start when fully pushed in

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
if you find something that will it should be a fun ride. i still say a 4l80 with a baumann controller...
Baumann Electronic Controls (BEC)
Never heard of that company.

Here is their top of the line Trans Control Module(TCM) for the 4l60e/65r/70 and 4l80e/85e.
$585 for the control box, but you still need to buy a $160 wiring harness.
http://www.usshift.com/usq4.shtml

This is their more simplified TCM US Shift Quick 1 Transmission Control System
$425.00 (again $140-$160 harness not included)
http://www.usshift.com/usq1.shtml

They've even got Throttle Position Sensor kits to use their trans controllers on carbed applications.
$160
http://www.usshift.com/tps.shtml

Interesting stuff, but like all of TCM companies, it's expensive. IIRC, some of the CPP (Chevrolet Performance Products-used to be GM Performance Products or GMPP) are over $1000.

peace
Hog

1 - 20 of 20 Posts