GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

It is with great sadness and furious anger that my beloved 1995 Crew Cab 6.5 was struck by a drunk driver. I had just installed a beautiful aluminum ProTech flatbed as well. The force of the rear collision pushed the bed into the cab, essentially rendering the truck and countless man hours a total loss. The bed is mendable but ruined, the mounts are bent, cab crushed, rear window blown out. I guess the "good news" is that she runs and drives fine albeit alignment. The frame seems alright as well. My sick mind cannot process loss so it has been running wild with ideas of, "what can I do with this." Sure, I could cut out the section of cab and graft a new one in. Or hell, just swap the entire cab. However, this rig has 56k original miles, I don't want to lose door tags, VIN, etc although I could swap those over too I suppose. So I'm thinking, what if I take the rear body section of a scrap Suburban and bolt it onto the rear, cut the damaged part off the Crew Cab, fuse the shells together where they meet, and fill in the difference with doors from an extended cab or junkyard donor doors. I know the wheelbase is different but it looks about the same distance from back of rear wheel well to end of bumper. Then fill in the rest. My main question is does the Crew Cab and Suburban have the same mounting positions, same frame architecture in the rear, same floor height, etc. It will be quite a Frankenstein but I want to keep it, have had her for close to ten years, and is essentially worthless on paper now. Sorry for the novel. Any and all ideas and insight are greatly appreciated. Thanks guys, Ray from Long Beach, Ca

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,173 Posts
Anything is possible with a welder and enough beer 🤷‍♂️. Make it happen

·
Super Moderator
6,173 Posts

·
The great white Canadian
1,795 Posts
The frames are not the same, but they also aren't so different that something couldn't be made to work. Like TMAN said break out the welder and get to it. It's not going to be easy (if you want it to look good anyway) but it can be done.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts