GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
CENTEXOFFROAD
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, as some of you know, My truck hasn't been 4wd for a while now, because of the rear axle that I swapped in to replace the "about to fail" 10 bolt. Well, my truck came factory with 3.42 gears and the 14 bolt SF 6 lug axle I put in has 3.73 gears. So.......About a month ago, I went to the junk yard and pulled a front diff with 3.73 gears to match the rear. And this weekend I swapped them out. Its fairly easy. First, disconnect the front drive shaft from the diff. Then, disconnect the electrical connectors from the actuator and sensor and the vent tube and tuck out of the way, then, this step is important, remove the steering center link. I didn't do it the first time and it took me a lot longer to get the diff out. Next is to remove the 4 mounting bolts that hold the differential to the truck. DO NOT HAVE ANY PART OF YOU UNDER THE DIFF AT THIS POINT. After that, you need to make sure you either have a partner to help, or be extremely careful. You need to roll the differential to where the pinion is pointing straight up at the hood. It should just fall out then. either have a jack or something to absorb the shock available because it will fall. Installation is reverse of removal. Sorry I don't have any pictures to show, but if you get under one of these trucks, you will know all that I'm talking about.

Thanks for reading.

P.S. I have 4wd again. Yay......Let's go wheeling.

·
CENTEXOFFROAD
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It just kicked my ass when it was loose and not coming out because of the center link.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Why remove the steering? I can drop the diff in 10-15 minutes without disconnecting anything but the electrical connectors, DS and CV shafts....

·
Registered
8,853 Posts
iirc it was a bit of a pita having the steering linkage in the way, but this was during the installation of my lift too so idk if it would be any different on a stock setup :shrug:

·
CENTEXOFFROAD
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There was no way it was coming out with that center link installed, The upper mount would hit it before I could get it to pivot enough to drop down.

EDIT: BTW, this was in my driveway with the tires on the ground.

·
CENTEXOFFROAD
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok, sorry, This is my first one and I was working by myself. without the adequate tools.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts