GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Resident Guinea Wop
14,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got some broken ground straps on my 94... With the heat, headlights on, in Drive, foot on the brake - I get 9 volts... Normal driving is fine, 14v. I'm hoping one of you guys can tell me what exactly is broken - and where they attach to?

This is what I got :(

GROUND2.jpg

GROUND1.jpg

Does the firewall strap and block strap both attach to that bolt on the frame?

·
Weird Turns Pro.
6,251 Posts
ill run down and take a look and a pic for you matt if I find anything. just need to find a step ladder first :crazy:

·
Resident Guinea Wop
14,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
fuck yooooou greek!

ti mano popi sekone rroosooza pootanis

:) beef

Could it be a starter bolt? :think:

·
Weird Turns Pro.
6,251 Posts
i went out and looked. that one bolted to the frame went to my inner fender. i didnt look at the fire wall cuz im in a rush (goin bowlin) and only remembered to look at the top of the frame. i'll check and report back later bro

·
meow
15,748 Posts
any updates :crazy: I think that I have the same problem. HO alt but still drop to around 12 at stop light :think: I can only find one strap, which is on the passanger side. It runs up into some type of metal/plastic cover and not sure where it goes. Two different engines but... anyone have some insight? I have some 1/0 that needs a home.

·
Resident Guinea Wop
14,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mike, glad you bumped this... Stopped by "Never Any Parts Available" (NAPA) today, and told the dude at the counter what I'm doing... Looking for some frame to block/firewall ground cables...

I bought the "HELP" Brand ground straps from Advance Auto.. They suck.. they're about 1/4" thin braded strip of aluminium... WEAK.

NAPA Had 18" 4ga Braided Copper Insulated cables with Brass Eyelets...
http://napaonline.com/MasterPages/NOLMaster.aspx?PageId=470&LineCode=BEL&PartNumber=711894&Description=Battery+Cable+-+Negative
But.... they lived up to their never any parts... name because the dude only had one in stock, for $16 and change... vafangul... I got the part # from him though, so I plan on ordering these from www.napaonline.com

UNLESS one of you guys have a better solution for my Block/Firewall/Frame ground dilemma :kiss:

·
Resident Guinea Wop
14,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Haha, haven't fixed it yet. Got too drunk, too early, the past two weekends :rofl2:

It's warming up a bit, but still in the 20's up here. Fuck crawling around in sub-freezing temps! My buddies shop is chock full of cars to boot. He works at a dealer in town, and doesn't have any lifts available :(

PICS when I get it done though, maybe next weekend :insane:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, did a google search and it brought me here. I'm working on my 99 k2500 chev. 5.7L. It won't start. It wont even turn over. So me being some what of a fix it urself kinda guy ( im a chainsaw mechanic and mechanical designer ) one thing i don't get is that the lights will come on in the cab initially. I try to crank the engine and it gives me one click from under the hood. Nothing more and everything dies..lights and guages. It wont repeat it right away....with the click noise. I have to unhook the battery to get it to do it again. So i swapped batteries with my tahoe. Known good battery. Same thing. Lights on, and click...everything dies. So i pulled the starter and did a bench test. Passed just fine. Hmmm. So i then checked for broken and bad ground wires. Found that the ground wire that comes from the rear passengers side of the motor was broken. Fell apart upon grabbing it. This wire braid goes to the frame. It shares a bolt with anothet braided wire that is coming from the firewall. Under the hvac hoses on the passengers side. I replaced the braided wire that attaches from the frame to the rear of the motor. Still same thing...click..everything dies. Switched batteries again....same thing...click...everything dies.

Not sure whats going on. I think need to eliminate the grounds...anybody have any idears?

Thanks in advance. Old thread, but maybe someone can move me to a more appropriate area.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi, did a google search and it brought me here. I'm working on my 99 k2500 chev. 5.7L. It won't start. It wont even turn over. So me being some what of a fix it urself kinda guy ( im a chainsaw mechanic and mechanical designer ) one thing i don't get is that the lights will come on in the cab initially. I try to crank the engine and it gives me one click from under the hood. Nothing more and everything dies..lights and guages. It wont repeat it right away....with the click noise. I have to unhook the battery to get it to do it again. So i swapped batteries with my tahoe. Known good battery. Same thing. Lights on, and click...everything dies. So i pulled the starter and did a bench test. Passed just fine. Hmmm. So i then checked for broken and bad ground wires. Found that the ground wire that comes from the rear passengers side of the motor was broken. Fell apart upon grabbing it. This wire braid goes to the frame. It shares a bolt with anothet braided wire that is coming from the firewall. Under the hvac hoses on the passengers side. I replaced the braided wire that attaches from the frame to the rear of the motor. Still same thing...click..everything dies. Switched batteries again....same thing...click...everything dies.

Not sure whats going on. I think need to eliminate the grounds...anybody have any idears?

Thanks in advance. Old thread, but maybe someone can move me to a more appropriate area.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
I had the same problem. Hook up a OBD Scanner(HF $99)- clear all codes. It started right up. Worked for me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts