GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
OBS Trucks FTW!
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have pics of installs of OBS trucks with aftermarket headunits. I am looking for trucks that have the clock above the HVAC controls and the tape deck in the middle of the dash with an equalizer.
I would like to keep the factory clock and proabaly wire up the headunit where the tape deck is. If you have done this how hard is it?
Thanks for anyones help!

·
OBS Trucks FTW!
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Year would probably help. Mine is a 1994. Thanks.

·
OBS Trucks FTW!
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Never seen one with just a clock above the HVAC controls and a tape player.
Well there is the clock and the tune/preset/volume controls above the HVAC and over in the middle of the dash there is a tape player and an equalizer. I think was standard from 1994-1998 but im not sure. Ill try to get some pictures tomorrow.

·
:bishplz:
5,053 Posts
My truck was the first year with the new dash but my dad's suburban has the one your talking about. We haven't put a new deck in there yet but we plan on it. It seems that the only kits available do what you want. They replace the equalizer/tape area with the new head unit. The kit actually replaces that whole panel (the piece that goes from below the equalizer, up to above the vents). As far as the clock/controls go, we plan on replacing them with a big pocket since they won't really function. I imagine it would be fine to leave it though. As long as you keep power to it, the clock should work.

This is the piece that we bought. Kinda sucks since his dash is gray, but the suburban is black so it shouldn't look that bad until he can get it painted or something.

You might wanna check out CarDomain also, choose your year and truck then look around for some pics of stereos. Make sure to check suburbans/tahoes/blazers/yukons/etc also.

·
OBS Trucks FTW!
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My truck was the first year with the new dash but my dad's suburban has the one your talking about. We haven't put a new deck in there yet but we plan on it. It seems that the only kits available do what you want. They replace the equalizer/tape area with the new head unit. The kit actually replaces that whole panel (the piece that goes from below the equalizer, up to above the vents). As far as the clock/controls go, we plan on replacing them with a big pocket since they won't really function. I imagine it would be fine to leave it though. As long as you keep power to it, the clock should work.

This is the piece that we bought. Kinda sucks since his dash is gray, but the suburban is black so it shouldn't look that bad until he can get it painted or something.

You might wanna check out CarDomain also, choose your year and truck then look around for some pics of stereos. Make sure to check suburbans/tahoes/blazers/yukons/etc also.
Where did your dad get that mount piece. Also where are you getting the pocket to replace the clock. The only reason I wanted to keep the clock is so there is not just a blank screen but if I remove the whole thing it would look fine. Thanks for your help.

·
Wanna B Jack o all Trades
9,823 Posts
those trucks were from 88-94 with 95-02 getting the slide in radio. If you replace it you need to unhook the amp under the dash above the gas pedal and run the wires to the new radio. Also if you want to keep the "clock" youll need to wire power to it or if you get rid of it just put that pocket in its place as seen above

·
Resident Guinea Wop
14,533 Posts
My idea for my 94 was to install a Sirius Tuner in there. The delete pocket is to shallow and narrow for CD's and anything in there flys out when you accelerate :rofl2:

siriusindash.jpg

·
OBS Trucks FTW!
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Denaliano: Thats a slick setup. I think im gonna do the same thing but just delete the clock and put in the pocket because I cant afford satellite radio right now.:bowtie:

·
Resident Guinea Wop
14,533 Posts
Thanks man, here's the rest of the dash. Smooth and paint if you want to kill some time, it really looks awesome on these dashes!

blazerlcdSmall.jpg

I should also add, another neat mod is get a piece of blue transparent plexiglass and replace the green lens in the HVAC control! I did all of mine before I went aftermarket...

298eefe8.jpg

·
OBS Trucks FTW!
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow thanks for all of the responses. I think I have a good idea of what I am gonna do. I ll try to get a new unit to go in the tape deck/equalizer section and try to keep the clock but maybe change the color of the plexiglass.
Also if I have time this summer I might try sanding and painting the dash for that slick look.
Thanks guys.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts