GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
DO IT OR DONT
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So about a year ago i had to replace my intake gasket due to coolant leaking and white smoke ect.

Anyway a year later im loosing coolant again im hoping its not the same problem is there anything i can check?

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
water pump.
i had a leak from their and the radiator at the same time. i replaced the whole cooling system.

i got my history report and the first owner got the intake gasket replaced under warranty somewhere in idaho. lucky me

·
Registered
218 Posts
Mine are factory as far as I know at 145k and no problems yet. I know on the 3.8 v6s that had shitty intake gaskets they later had a redesigned better gasket you could buy.

Is there a redesigned newer vortec intake gasket?

·
1998 K1500 4x4 5.7
102 Posts
If you pressure test the cooling system you will be able to see a leak. Advance auto has a cooling system prssure tester you can borrow for free. Check your oil, if it appears white at all you are getting coolant into the oil and will need to change the headgasket. Make sure you drain out the shitty dex cool and put in green antifreeze to stop this problem.

·
DO IT OR DONT
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you pressure test the cooling system you will be able to see a leak. Advance auto has a cooling system prssure tester you can borrow for free. Check your oil, if it appears white at all you are getting coolant into the oil and will need to change the headgasket. Make sure you drain out the shitty dex cool and put in green antifreeze to stop this problem.
Thats what causes the leak ? Never knew that thanks

·
DO IT OR DONT
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I also noticed today that my oil pressure is all over the place sometimes its normal at 40 sometimes its way low at idle and sometimes its high

Is this an indication of the intake gasket?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Not sure if this will help but my car was leaking coolant but I could never find it, I could smell it but couldn't find it. It turned out the radiator had a small split on it. It would only leak when the system was pressurized and even then it would spray a very fine mist and would burn when it hit the exhaust manifold. I thought I would throw that out there.

·
hotdogfarts
2,287 Posts
Thats what causes the leak ? Never knew that thanks
That's not what causes the problem AT ALL. The factory used a poorly designed gasket that when over torqued (which the factory did do) they colapse on themselves eventually causing a leak.

Dex has fuck all to do with it. Do any other new GM's leak at the intake manifold because dex cool?

As for the leak, run your hand along the back of the intake and check for any coolant. That's the most common area of the leak.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.