GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the old farm truck "1988 chevy 1500 4x4 305 TBI 5spd" lost all power. Idle is sort of rough. I almost doesn't have enough power to pull out. You have to hold it on the floor to pull out. Will not hardly go up hill. First I thought cat might be stopped up. So I cut it off. No help. Thought maybe fuel or air filter. Both needed changed so I changed them. No help. It doesn't act like it is flooding out "no black smoke". The check engine light has not come on. So I don't think it will have any codes stored but I'll see if local auto parts has a scanner I can use. I don't think it the clutch slipping RPMs aren't raising. It just like it isn't taking fuel or getting it. As for starting it starts fine I don't even have to pump it or anything.So I'm thinking now maybe fuel pump. Any suggestions. I really hate to drop the tank if that is not it. Thanks.

·
CENTEXOFFROAD
1,348 Posts
dont drop the tank, pull the bed, easier, espically if you have a full tank. But first, pull cap off dist, check for corrosion, replace plugs and wires, take off coil and have it tested at autozone. then report findings.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Replaced fuel pump. It was fun. Raining, almost full tank of gas, and by myself. Did not fix it. What to check now?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Might have figured it out. The plugs that plug into the injector are brittle, cracked, just gone. Where can I get those?

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
EGR. look into it. and also, go buy a haynes manual and learn how to extract the codes yourself. i learned how to do it when i was 16 with a paperclip

1 - 8 of 8 Posts