GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Zombie Squad
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.K. So my clear parking lights got shipped today :head: and I was wondering the laws...do I HAVE to have amber lights or what...and if I dont how much do cops care?

(my grille is also being shipped sometime soon...not sure when but I know the lights are cause i spoke to the guy on the phone...got a discount too :head: :head: )

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
my dad had red bulbs in his clears for a week and got pulled over for them saturday night.. cop said "man those look really good but all i ask is that you dont have red or blue" so i dunno if that meant they dont really care about other colors or not but i'm gonna run ambers all the way across.. my dad is now too..

·
I'll Take teh Case!
1,918 Posts
From what I hear (in Texas anyway) that the only street legal colours allowed in the front are white or amber (which means you could go with an all white turn signal if you wanted). I don't know about Indiana :think: low slow 00 is right about the red though, cops don't like you having red or blue in the front (from what I hear it is highly illegal because they say you are impersonating a emergency vehicle).

What colour were you looking at getting? If you want a clean look, but want to stay street legal, get some Silverstar turn signal bulbs or stealth bulbs. They don't look amber when unlit, but when you fire them up they are totally street legal amber.

·
Zombie Squad
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well i was going to just take off the stock parking light(the bottom of the big lights) and install the new ones with no color...instead of going to spend more money on lights

·
I'll Take teh Case!
1,918 Posts
You should be fine then...but you never know...sometimes it varies from state to state. And sometimes, it just depends on how much of an ass the cop wants to be when he pulls you over...

·
Registered
413 Posts
i got clear (not amber or blue) bulbs to fill my diamond parking lights and corners. they look great during the daytime because they just blend in with the clearness of the housing. when u turn ur headlights on at night, ur parking lights are at half power, which makes them have a bronze-ish tint, but when u put ur turn signal on, they are at full power, and they are white. but when my turn signal is off, the parking lights look pretty yellow compared to my silverstar headlights, so the cops don't bother me none.

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
I went ahead and put some clear bulbs in my turn signals. I had the DRLs from my dads truck that replaced my bulbs and had to buy clear 194s for $2. I figured since it was so cheap, if i didn't like it, or got pulled over for it, its no biggie. I keep the amber bulbs in my truck just incase too...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well, Im a newbie to the forums, but i may be able to help on this one seeing as im also a police officer in Indiana. Heres the problem (according to the law) with colored lights. Red, Blue and Green are illegal by law due to being used on emergency vehicles. Red can be used, but only on the rear of a vehicle, because the rear usually already has factory red taillights. If you're wanting to keep the clear look in the lenses during they day without them looking amber due to the amber bulbs, try advance auto parts or autozone, i saw the other day there are new amber bulbs with a chrome like coating on the outside of the bulb, so they look like Xenon bulbs from the outside until they are illuminated. As for the blue and green, most places (my jurisdiction anyway) says you can have them (i.e. neons, LEDs, etc) so long as you cant see the bulb itself from the outside of the vehicle, only the glow can be seen while in motion. If you are parked, its not a moving violation, nothing they can do. hope this helps

1 - 9 of 9 Posts