GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
8 Lug Shit
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I have a '96 K1500 RCLB. I wanna bump hard.

I currently have a stock HU from a '02 Silvy with a built in CD. I know I wants subs, I was thinking a single 12 or two 10s.

-Do I have to have an amp?

-Is it possible to run an amp and sub off a stock HU?

-How hard would the install be?

-What's the cheapest I could get a sub and amp for?

I have the opportunity to buy a used Alpine flip-out for about $150.

Thanks for any assistance.

·
Iron Block LS2
192 Posts
Alright, I have a '96 K1500 RCLB. I wanna bump hard.

I currently have a stock HU from a '02 Silvy with a built in CD. I know I wants subs, I was thinking a single 12 or two 10s.

-Do I have to have an amp?

-Is it possible to run an amp and sub off a stock HU?

-How hard would the install be?

-What's the cheapest I could get a sub and amp for?

I have the opportunity to buy a used Alpine flip-out for about $150.

Thanks for any assistance.

-Yes you need an amp. Best would be a Class D but a regular 2 channel will do just fine.

-Yes you can run an amp off of a stock head unit. Look up Hi/low level converter. Or LOC

-Ebay would be your cheapest. Cant say for sure whats the cheapest. Best thing would be something quality, something name brand. Go to your local sound shop (BEST BUY IS NOT RECOMENDED) and see what they have and LISTEN to what they have. Dont go by price. "YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR" Make yourself a reasnable budget that you can tell them and usually you can get a nice little package for a great deal.

Also, take the Alpine flipout to the sound shop and see if they can test it for you. Usually no more then $20 for a good bench test. Its well worth the investment if you paln on buying it. $150 seems pretty cheap to me depending on which one it is. Do you have a model # that we can see which one it is?

Hope this helps

·
8 Lug Shit
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know the Alpine works cause it's currently installed. The only issues is the flip out doesn't go back in and it won't play video for some reason.

·
My Dixie Wrecked
5,510 Posts
Probably out of your spending range if you're wanting to stay cheap, but I have a jensen VM9512HD flipoout I'll sell you for $400.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
I know the Alpine works cause it's currently installed. The only issues is the flip out doesn't go back in and it won't play video for some reason.
Is the safety swtich for the parking brake grounded?

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
No, he had it checked out and it needs a $100 piece inside replaced.
I wouldnt buy it. The main reason for most flip outs is to play movies. Most suck for configuration and audio adjustments so whats the point of it if it doesnt play movies? You're better off to spend the $150 on a non flip out deck with better features or just use the stock headunit.

·
8 Lug Shit
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah it's pretty shitty in the configuration department.

I'm actually trading a guy on FSC for a stock cassette HU so I can play my iPod through it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts