GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Ultimate IFS Pirate
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone cut their rear to fit 6x9s? The selection is mucho bettero, but they can't be more than 2.75" deep top mounted. :(

Also I'm between the Infinity Reference 6012i and Polk Audio DB 650 for my front doors. Any recommendations there would be great. Thanks.

·
it's not fast enough
1,677 Posts
Infinity Reference 6012i for the front....

i've heard about the 6x9s...but havent done it myself... if you arent putting speakers under your back seat....then put 2 on the underside of your seats in seperate boxes.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I honestly don't think it will work. When i was doing my audio system and researched putting something bigger than the 4x6's back there i would have run into a depth problem. I'd say you could cut out the hole big enough to fit them but the depth is what is going to stop you. There is some sort of square tube-like support about 2 inches back from the speaker mounting surface that covers about half the hole. So basically a few styles 4x6's would fit but not all and definitely there will be some heaving cutting to get a 6x9 to fit. I wouldn't even worry about if i were you. A good set of 6.5's in the front powered off an amp instead of the head unit will give you all the sound you would need. That surround sound effect that everyone tries to acheive with vehicles is pretty pointless unless you have like a tv or something to watch movies. Your head unit is just basically stereo output. The rear speakers get the same basic signal that the fronts do short of crossovers or whatever.

·
Ultimate IFS Pirate
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was trying to eliminate getting a sub by going with a 6x9. I know it would be weak. I may just get some cheaper Pioneer 4x6s and get a bass tube.

Do you recommend a 6.5" for the front? How about 4x6?

My amp is MRV-F302, 75Wx4.

·
:bishplz:
5,053 Posts
I have some Pioneer 6.5" in the front, they are nothing special but sound pretty damn nice to me. And plus they have put up with a beating I don't know what sumbitch spilled soda on my door and "forgot" to tell me but I took the door panel off to check something out and there was soda on my speaker, cleaned it off and they sound great still. Not sure what model they are but the cones are pearl looking, got them from my father-in-law :D As for rears, I haven't made that jump yet, I don't have a 3rd door and removing everything to replace them scares me a little lol

·
Wanna B Jack o all Trades
9,823 Posts
Ive done a few of them, way easier than doing the 4x6s themselves. First you take an airsaw and cut the area in the plastic where the 4x6 is, dont worry if you hit it, its going to be destroyed anyway. After that cut as much of the 4x6 out as possible and unplug it if you havent cut it with the saw. Next screw in a 6x9 spacer ring into the plastic, wire up the 6x9 and screw it in. Easy and it only takes minutes not hours!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts