GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
The Woolly One
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, people. The time has come. I am officially beginning restorative repairs on Bessie (I'll start a thread later with all the details and progress pics in another area) and one thing I'm going to do is put in sound deadener. I've never done anything like this before and I need to know a few things so I can plan ahead. I figure I'll buy what I'll need to do the whole inside and just use what I need as I need it over the period of time that I'm doing the interior stuff. Floor, sides, and back of cab will probably be all in one shot when I replace the carpet and rear speakers and stuff. Roof and doors will be done when its convenient and according to when I'm doing stuff that involves having those areas exposed already. I need to know things like:

How much will I need for one layer throughout most of the cab? (OBS ext. cab roof, floor, back, sides, maybe even firewall someday)

Should I put out the money for Dynamat or go with a cheap but equal alternative? I don't plan on installing a massive stereo (ever) so we're mostly talking about road/wind/exhaust noise.

Where should I go to find whatever type I end up getting and what price should I settle for to make sure I don't get ripped a new rectal oriface?

I'll also gladly take any kind of advice about this project. I'm man enough to admit that quite often I simply don't know what the fuck I'm doing. It seems pretty straight forward, but experience has taught me that nothing ever really is. I'm open to any suggestions about what I'm getting into.

·
Registered
477 Posts
First, read up on http://sounddeadenershowdown.com/.

Personally, I chose to buy Raamat. Dynamat while quality is overpriced, and argued by many to be harder to work with. I bought 1.5 rolls. I used every bit of it and didn't do the roof, but I did do two layers in many areas. I'd say 2 rolls would be your best bet.

Remember, though, that the deadening matt is for vibrations resonating through the metal. You should also be considering some closed cell foam for rattles, higher frequencies, etc. I purchased Ensolite from the same manufacturer http://raamaudio.com/. I bought 5 yards. Again used every bit. Depending on what all you want to cover with that, you may want to consider a bit more. Also bought his adhesive spray. It works very well. In general, I like their products.

If I was willing to consider spending more, I might have gone with Second Skin products. But I think Raamaudio stuff is very much best bang for the buck. Call the owner. He'll gladly go over what you are trying to accomplish and make suggestions.

·
The Woolly One
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that. His stuff definitely fits my budget more than Dynamat. That article was pretty good stuff too. Dunno yet if I'm gonna do any ensolite, but I might since it's pretty cheap.

·
This is a bunch of shit!
1,943 Posts
I used Raammat 60 when I did my tahoe and had NO complaints
Same here. Did entire floor, doors and sides in the rear. Made a huge difference and the price is awesome. He even cut me a break on pricing without being in a group purchase since I picked up 3 rolls.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts