GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Not Rockin' It Stock
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard that I can fit 6x9s in the far rear spot where the 4x10s are with a little bit of modifications. If anyone has any info or pics of how to do it please let me know.

I will be ordering some Kicker mids in the doors in the next few weeks and want to install some 6x9s in the far back. Then I'll get a couple kicker 12" subs and build a box. Amps will be under the rear seat and hopefully all of the wiring will be hidden :D

·
Respect mah authoritah!
11,152 Posts
You can, but it's pretty pointless. They're so far in the back, you really can't hear them. Do you have a 2 door or 4 door?

If you have 2, I would suggest doing the mod I did, adding 2 speakers under the back seat. Have them angled up so I can actually hear them.

·
Not Rockin' It Stock
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a 4 door. I'd like to keep everything looking as factory as possible in the interior. And I can hear the speakers in the back, especially if I'm riding back there. Thanks for the input, but I'd like to keep them in the factory spot :)

·
Not Rockin' It Stock
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Should just be a matter of enlarging the hole
Thats what I thought, but I wanted to make sure they will fit before I order some and then find out they won't fit.

·
Registered
186 Posts
did this on my dads 90 suburban it had 4x10's in the back behind the middle row, you have to open up the hole from 4 to 6 inches tall, that's easy with tin snips. but its not so easy to go from 10 wide to 9 wide, it leaves a gap. and since the 4x10 is kinda recessed it wouldnt have mounted flush with the paneling very well and i needed it to in order to use the grilles they came with, what i did was i took a thin piece of plywood and cut out a hole for the 6x9 and mounted that to the sheet metal, then mounted the factory side panel and carpet back, this made the mounting surface flush with the paneling. cut away the carpet a little and the 6x9 grille was just big enough to fill in the gap of losing the inch width.

·
Banned
6,337 Posts
My 2 door has 6x9's, I was disappointed to find this out. Like others said, add a good set of components up front.

I will eventually replace mine with a decent set of 6x9's seeing as this is all I can replace them with without doing much work and add a nice set of components. Maybe a 10" in the rear.

·
Not Rockin' It Stock
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We;; I'm doing all Kicker components up front. Mabye I'll just get a set of kicker 4x10s for the rear and not have to mess with it. The kicker 4x10s are only like $50 shipped and like you guys said the front components will be were most of the sounds is anyway.

But I really want to replace the rears because they are blown and the carckle really bad.

Thanks for all of the input

·
Banned
6,337 Posts
I have a question, I carry my dogs on the rear, how will a dual 10" downfiring box sound? The subs will be a couple inches from the carpet. I figured this will keep them from screwing up the subs. I found the box on CL and have considered buying it. It is either this route or my single sub with a cover over the sub to protect it.

·
Wambulance Driver
1,790 Posts
All you have to do is enlarge the hole. Honestly though that was a waste of money for me. Like everyone else says, just add some nice components up front and either a 10" or a 12" sub out back and youll be set

·
My Dixie Wrecked
5,510 Posts
I have a question, I carry my dogs on the rear, how will a dual 10" downfiring box sound? The subs will be a couple inches from the carpet. I figured this will keep them from screwing up the subs. I found the box on CL and have considered buying it. It is either this route or my single sub with a cover over the sub to protect it.
my 10's downfire. They're under my rear seat. SOunds better that way IMO

1 - 15 of 15 Posts