GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Line-X of San Antonio
5,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just picked up a 93 GMC (will post some pics tomorrow) it is a V6 5spd(NV3500). it has 168K mi and still has the factory clutch. its still good, but wearing fast, and the tranny is gonna need a little freshening. my question is, if i wanted to make it automatic, what all would it take, what trannies could i swap with the OBD1? would a 4L60 work? all i should have to do is change the flywheel/pressure plate right? any advice is appreciated! :head:

·
I am the Moderatonator!
1,128 Posts
Do I hear another project truck arising?

·
Line-X of San Antonio
5,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
VicRed said:
Do I hear another project truck arising?
eh. this is just a basic ass truck. its been well taken care of, and will help me keep some miles of my red sled. it gets good mileage, and i dont care if it gets dinged up on the doors.

·
Line-X of San Antonio
5,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Whifflebat said:
My neighbors '93 v6 has a 4l60e...

but i'd rather just replace the clutch, I like manuals :)
i used to. but it will cost more to get the tranny overhauled and the clutch redone, than to do the automatic swap. that and the ease of an automatic is great. my Z71 was standard, an it bugged me after a while.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Do you plan on converting it to a column shift, or will you be installing a shifter on the floor?

You will also need a PROM from a V6 truck with a 4L60e.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
You will need an updated wiring harness that includes the harness to the tranny. Then your going to need a column shift column and all the linkage for it to connect to the tranny. Then you need the flexplate and shorten your driveshaft, also need a crossmember. Then upgrade yoru computer to handle running the tranny and thats about it...

·
Line-X of San Antonio
5,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so id be better off going with a 700R4? i can get a column with the shifter fairly easily. along with the linkage. what would you go with jason?

·
03 Tahoe
1,364 Posts
What I would do is a 700r4 with a floor shifter. The 4l60e would be cool but you'll either need to dig up an OBD1 harness and pcm to control it or spend 700+ for a stand alone electronic trans controller. The 700r4 is much better for that reason alone. As mentioned the driveshaft and x-member would need to be worked but I'd almost just get those at a yard...they are plentiful.

Cameron

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Well what I personally would do, is I would get a 4l80e and throw in a Trans-Go full manual kit. It gets rid of all the electronic stuff and turns it into a full manual transmission then I would put a floor shifter in for it. This way you get the strength of the 4l80e, overdrive, and no wiring. You can get the same thing for a 4l60e but it's not as strong but probably strong enough for what you need it for. Oh, the kit is $399 I believe, way better than buying a computer and harness and such.

·
Line-X of San Antonio
5,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
jebx said:
I thought that the 94s were the first to have the 4l60e (factory) and that the 93's and older had the 700R4.
i thought so too, but both my 95 and now this 93 were standard, ive never had to do any automatic research... my 89 had a 700R4 that i swapped out for a turbo400

1 - 12 of 12 Posts