GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
professional smartass
5,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got a 84 k20 recently and basically i was curious what would i need to do to drop a od tranny like a 700r4 in it. the th400 is thirsty.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Look into Bowtie Overdrives. They have a complete kit to do this. You may have to change the tranfer case adapter and output shaft of the trans. Unless you got a complete unit from a donor 4x4. Good Luck.
-Lance

·
Registered
112 Posts
you are going to have to get a stand alone computer. Why not just do a 700R4? What engine/transfer case,axles,etc..???
-Lance

·
professional smartass
5,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you are going to have to get a stand alone computer. Why not just do a 700R4? What engine/transfer case,axles,etc..???
-Lance
well if i can find em local i will

the tci controller i can get for 500 bucks so either way im good

·
i always catch you hatin'
606 Posts
trading a th400 for a 700r4? wtf? are u serious?
seriously no, please dont do it....the 4l80e on the other hand you should do, but unless it built 700r4's are junk

·
professional smartass
5,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
seriously no, please dont do it....the 4l80e on the other hand you should do, but unless it built 700r4's are junk
i could care less im not going to do anything but drive it not 4 wheel not race it etc...

·
professional smartass
5,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
you aint guna get 15 with an old carburated truck.. 700r4 FTL.
guy has a 85 k10 with a 700r4 gets 16 here at work ive drove it both are longbeds i cant see it being to much different other than the rear end and the 205 trucks are pretty much the same

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
id rather have the 80e...look whats in my trail rig. it will be a lil less to change when bolting up t-case and all as well...

·
professional smartass
5,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
id rather have the 80e...look whats in my trail rig. it will be a lil less to change when bolting up t-case and all as well...
thats what im thinkin im may try to find a old 90s truck thats totalled to drop in a engine and tranny

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
thats what im thinkin im may try to find a old 90s truck thats totalled to drop in a engine and tranny
not bad...but consider how long it will take to pay off. that 500-1000$ for the swap will buy you a LOT of fuel, esp since you might gain a couple mpg. 2-3 mpg max gain id guess.

·
professional smartass
5,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
not bad...but consider how long it will take to pay off. that 500-1000$ for the swap will buy you a LOT of fuel, esp since you might gain a couple mpg. 2-3 mpg max gain id guess.
well my engine needs rebuilt or im going to have to get another one so it may not be so bad plus 14 vs 8 thats a big difference

so if i can find a 90s 2500 and swap the engine and trans im good

·
Registered
25 Posts
sorry seen this post late I'd steer away from early 90's 2500 350s they come with lower compression than the 1500's

1 - 20 of 71 Posts