GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 1995 sierra 2wd. I bought it last year in august its had a clunk when I first accelerate from standstill, as well, just when it comes to a stop. I've had a couple people offer a couple different theories. One said it could be U joints. Well i got my friend to do them and he used the wrong part and the driveshaft flew off on the highway..... So there are good ujoints on it now and a nice new driveshaft. So i don't think that's the problem. The other 2 possibliities i've heard is the diff, or one of the suspension mounts are worn and it rocks back on acceleration and rocks forward on stop. O ya 1 helpful detail. When i load the truck up with stuff (drwall/wood) anything heavy, the problem goes away. Well i think that's it. And help is greatly appriciated. Thanks guys

·
GMFS Senior OG Member
3,511 Posts
I had the same problem on my 95 OBS at stock height. After I lowered it 2/4 the cluck went away. My u-joints were all good, I tend to believe that the drive shaft was moving in and out of the trany when I stoped and during acceleration. Sorry I really don't have an answer for you. But sure hope you find out what's wrong.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
1buda said:
I had the same problem on my 95 OBS at stock height. After I lowered it 2/4 the cluck went away. My u-joints were all good, I tend to believe that the drive shaft was moving in and out of the trany when I stoped and during acceleration. Sorry I really don't have an answer for you. But sure hope you find out what's wrong.
I think you're right. Maybe some form of axle wrap, making the drive shaft do that.

Does your rear sag at all? Your leaf springs could be getting weak.

·
GMFS Senior OG Member
3,511 Posts
Whifflebat said:
I think you're right. Maybe some form of axle wrap, making the drive shaft do that.

Does your rear sag at all? Your leaf springs could be getting weak.
The funny thing is after doing the 4" drop in the rear it really wasn't a true 4" drop. The previous owner never used the truck to haul anything but a bale of hay. The leaf springs were still like new for being a 9 yr old truck. Now after installing the flip kit the rear is now lower than just a 6" drop. It sure doesn't make any sense to me but it cured my problem. I would check out your leaf springs, u-bolts and make sure everything is tight.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I kinda have the same problem but the noise is coming from the front of my '04 silverado with a 4/3 lift, haven't found the problem yet.

·
Banned
10 Posts
It's the leafs causing axle wrap.

I had the slip yoke done and it seemed to fix it but then it started again. Got new leafs when I lowered it and it's good as new.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts