GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my familys car hauler the oilpressure seems off to me. during start up (cold or warm) the pressure at idle will be around 60psi and during acceleration it will jump upwards of around 80 or so psi. this high pressure will last for 5-8 min of driving or idling. THEN it will go down to around 15psi at idle and around 35 under full acceleration. and will stay that way, here and there at idle that pressure will be WAY down at around 8-10 psi but that dont happen to often. I just put this motor in, its a fully rebuild long block i got cause the old motor had some problems. Oh yah its a 6.5 TD. Something too thats odd is it warms up to 200-210 degrees pretty quick and then just sits there, wont go down or up any, cold weather or hot? This is a brand new motor and im at SUCH a loss :read: Anyone have any of these problems, the motor is broke in but i havnt got it to a 1000miles to change the oil yet. any ideas? if you guys need more info i can hook you up if i left something out

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
my dads 6.6dmax idles at around 15psi and around 35-40 under full pedal...cold weather it was around 20psi or so till it heated up....

not sure on tho motor temp as i never pay attention to it, too busy lookin out of the mirror for the black smoke that never appears, lol.

Dave

1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well the temp in not as worried about as that HIGH oil pressure. i would think something might be restricting it BUT it goes away in a few minutes. Also i cant see why BRAND NEW oil with less than 100 miles on the oil and the new motor would have such high pressure

1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It could be the oil pressure guage or sending unit is faulty??
I SUre wouldnt think so, when i swapped motors i had the OPS installed and was putting the turbo in and broke that bitch in half!!!! I got a new one needless to say so its a BRAND NEW OPS... so yeah i wouldnt think it would be that? I also dont see a reason why it would be high for only a few minutes during startup then go back to normal if not a little below normal and do that every time? i mean if the guage was broke it wouldnt act like that every time. SO yeah im still at a lost lol:insane:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts