GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, Is it difficult and expensive to add a OEM ( Shark fin ) XM satellite antenna and what parts would be needed ? My truck is a 2012 GMC Sierra 1500 and I have a GM OEM XM radio. I believe I just need the XM receiver and the antenna, and what wiring ?

Thanks !

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
sorry, got your thread confused with another similar one. I suppose. You would have to drill holes in your cab, and make sure it is sealed well. Personally I think they are ugly. I'd much rather put a low profile aftermarket in its place. And, at least on the NBS trucks, the aftermarket wire will plug into the OEM XM tuner.

Mr. 960

·
Registered
764 Posts
sorry, got your thread confused with another similar one. I suppose. You would have to drill holes in your cab, and make sure it is sealed well. Personally I think they are ugly. I'd much rather put a low profile aftermarket in its place. And, at least on the NBS trucks, the aftermarket wire will plug into the OEM XM tuner.

Mr. 960
I tried to use my factory xm antenna on my 06 and it never got signal. I tried for an hour and still nothing. I ended up just using the aftermarket slim one that came with my Sirius adapter.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses, So how do I know what GM XM receiver to get ? There are so many different ones on Ebay and what wires do I need to connect to the radio ? As for the antenna I have a small wired XM antenna I could use as I dont like the idea of drilling holes in my roof now !!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts