GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as most know, the Y-pipe from LPP wont clear the front drive shaft on a lifted truck. So I went to a local shop to see if he could build me a custom one. He said he could for $150. He also suggested instead of adding the Y to bring it all together, to build a system that is true dual with 2 1/2 inch pipe. He said he could bend it all to fit and then would go into a 2in 2out super 40 flowmaster dumped before the rear axle. He said that would be $400. Is there any benifit to having the "true" dual or what I currently have with the Y-pipe?

Currently I have the Lpp long tubes with their Ypipe(drive shaft is out), no cats, single in 40 series flowmaster, dual exit strait out the back.

so what do you guys think?

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
There is benefit to what you currently have versus the true duals.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so i would be better off just getting a y made to fit with my D-shaft and call it a day?

·
I don't have a truck
10,439 Posts
There is benefit to what you currently have versus the true duals.
:word: in fact, you'd likely not only gain nothing but you'd probably lose low end grunt with a true dual setup. He's just trying to sell you stuff, and tell him the flowmaster is shit and you don't want it either.

·
Registered
130 Posts
What is the benefit to having the y pipe and not running true duals?

I have a ton of 2.5 mandrel bends and was just goin to run true duals but if i'm better with the y I'll go that route but i don't get why the y would be better then duals with an X pipe.

·
I don't have a truck
10,439 Posts
What is the benefit to having the y pipe and not running true duals?

I have a ton of 2.5 mandrel bends and was just goin to run true duals but if i'm better with the y I'll go that route but i don't get why the y would be better then duals with an X pipe.
The 2.75 or 3 inch ORY is going to be better for scavenging exhaust gasses and create more power where you need it.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
2.5" duals flow like a single 4"... you do not need that amount of flow with a 5.3, sorry.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
He said he was going to use 2 1/2 pipe for the Y-pipe, does that seem right?

Yeah probably be okay. I'd do a 2.25" into a single 3"... dual 2.25s flow just more than a single 3"

·
Nom Nom Nom
8,736 Posts
doing a 3" Y-pipe on my truck but keeping hi-flow cats, $400.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah I thought I heard someone mention that true duals wasnt need on our trucks thats why I wanted to check before I did anything. he seems kinda like a typical sales man.

So he's just going to build me the 2 1/2 Y for now. Im kinda tight on the budget (isnt everyone?) so thatll be it for now, but maybe later on Ill change whats after the Y. Thanks for the help everyone.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Yes but what he's saying is if you have one muffler it's not a true dual set up

1 - 17 of 17 Posts