GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Chevrolet Owner
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i found out today that on my last offroading adventure i cracked my frame right at the steering box. I understand that this is common on the onld 1/2 ton blazers and i found that kit by offroad design that you weld on to fix it. The only problem is that i nor anybody i know has a welder to do this repair. It looks like im going to have to go to 4wheel parts or ORW to have it fixed. I was wondering how much its gonna cost me. I know the parts are 70 bucks, but how much is the labor gonna run me? thanks for the help

·
Registered
199 Posts
SDSUmudman said:
well i found out today that on my last offroading adventure i cracked my frame right at the steering box. I understand that this is common on the onld 1/2 ton blazers and i found that kit by offroad design that you weld on to fix it. The only problem is that i nor anybody i know has a welder to do this repair. It looks like im going to have to go to 4wheel parts or ORW to have it fixed. I was wondering how much its gonna cost me. I know the parts are 70 bucks, but how much is the labor gonna run me? thanks for the help
If you are willing to do the prep work and drive to their shop, I wouldn't pay more than something in the 30-50 range. BTW there is a bolt on kit. I don't think you should run just that since your frame is already cracked, BUT I know a fair number of K5ers who have installed both the bolt on and weld on kit because so much stress is put on the frame at that point.

·
Chevrolet Owner
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
01Z71GMC said:
If you are willing to do the prep work and drive to their shop, I wouldn't pay more than something in the 30-50 range. BTW there is a bolt on kit. I don't think you should run just that since your frame is already cracked, BUT I know a fair number of K5ers who have installed both the bolt on and weld on kit because so much stress is put on the frame at that point.
I do plan i using both. I don't want this to happen again. The crack looks pretty bad. Its gone half way around the frame and im afraid that and bump could be the final one and it will break completely apart. Im glad to hear its an easy repair. My uncle has a couple of welders that work for him so i think ill just give them a few bucks and buy them lunch and some beer and have one of them do it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts