GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
May not be the greatest idea for a daily driver, to swap a 4 speed auto w/OD to a "3" speed manual with no OD. But hey, autos are boring to drive, and even though the engine will be screaming on the highway. I can at least pretend it's nascar.

This isn't a write up on the swap, more of my experience with it so far. I'm really only about half way through with it due to differences in parts and what not(which I will get to later).

First step was acquiring a transmission. I got this one off of Craigslist for $200.
101_0440_zps56c16a1c.jpg

Problem was that it was a 10 spline output short shaft and in order for it to mate up to my np241 I needed to swap out the mainshaft for a 32 spline.
101_0573_zps87123550.jpg

101_0572_zpsdf3fc16e.jpg

101_0575_zps7ca59fa0.jpg

I know, I know, the NP241 has a 27 spline input sun gear when bolted behind a 700r4. Which meant of course that I would also have to swap the sun gear in the transfer case to a 32 spline. Which really isn't a big deal they are very simple t-cases. I think it took all of 15 minutes to swap the input gears after I had it on the bench. The only problem I've run into is that there is a split in the bearing widths depending on the year. The earlier years use a wider bearing, and the later years use a skinnier bearing. I don't remember the breaks in the years off hand but a search on google should clear that up.
101_0603_zpsb7e4f744.jpg

101_0604_zps41939476.jpg

So far as it sits now I've got the "old" auto trans out and I'm just waiting for a clutch fork(thanks Rockauto for being late) and the newer/skinnier input bearing for the transfer case. Also swapping out the pedals is a HUGE PITA.
101_0605_zpsba65d389.jpg

101_0606_zps99142767.jpg

101_0607_zps7da0e545.jpg

101_0608_zps8f579823.jpg

·
4,725 Posts
Nice. This in a 73-87?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's technically a 91, but after this swap half of the drivetrain will be 30+ years old. I've really come to love that old 350 TBI setup. I thought about swapping in an LS, but the simplicity and reliability of this system has won me over. Only a handful of sensors to deal with(that are also very cheap to replace), and I can check any codes with a paper clip or piece of wire.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was actually planning on a Ranger Overdrive, by Advance Adapters. Costs half as much, is completely manual, and can split gears in both 4wd and 2wd. While the Gear vendors unit can only be split in 2wd. Also because it bolts in front of the Trans, it will also improve the front drive shaft angle.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A day of progress! and LOTS of swearing.

The clutch fork I received had a slot in the middle for a stud to go through instead of just having the clips on the back to hold in on. So after much searching I finally found the pivot ball with the little stud on the end of it. Which ended up being too long and wouldn't allow everything to bolt together. So I ended up putting the old pivot ball back in. I was worried about the fork possibly falling off when the clutch is engaged, but luckily it holds good tension on the fork. So pretty much wasted $30 but oh well.

Everything else sort of fell into place after that, and by fall into place I mean as in He-Manning the transmission in with the help of a motorcycle jack. I could have pulled the tunnel cover and lowered it in with the hoist, but I have limited room and it would have been more work in the end to do it that way.

All in all I've got probably around 32 hours in this swap so far. I've still got about a million little things to do in order to get everything buttoned up, but should be driving down the road some time tomorrow.

101_0612_zpsdfeb9087.jpg

This was a pretty nice win, I wasn't sure if the cross member would stay in the same place. With the bellhousing, trans, and adapter it all ended up being about 3/4" shorter than the 700r4. Which should leave me plenty left on the factory drive shaft with a 3-4" lift.
101_0613_zps213a029b.jpg

In the words of Mike Finnegan "Lipstick on a pig"
101_0614_zps8364c037.jpg

and the hydraulic line just barely clears the headers by about an 1/8". These are the Hooker Competition style headers, and for the most part they fit pretty well. Very snug around the suspension parts, but they fit.
101_0610_zps261eccdf.jpg

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
Pretty cool. Out of curiosity why though? Just for fun?

I would take a 700r4 (build up some) over the sm465 offroad any day. You get that awesome low gear with the sm465, and its strong - but you loose all the advantages of an auto. I guess it also depends what type of offroad you are talking about...

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pretty cool. Out of curiosity why though? Just for fun?

I would take a 700r4 (build up some) over the sm465 offroad any day. You get that awesome low gear with the sm465, and its strong - but you loose all the advantages of an auto. I guess it also depends what type of offroad you are talking about...
I really just wanted a a simple transmission, that was strong as hell, and fun to drive. The inconsistencies of the shifting in auto transmissions is irritating to me. Granted the 700r4 is more predictable than the computer controlled transmissions, but I can always feel how soft the shifts get when it gets up to temp.

That being said, the swap is 90% done and the truck is back to daily driver duty. So far, with 35" tires and 4.56 gears. I love it! 1st gear(or 2nd depending on who you talk to) has a top speed of only about 10-15 mph. Then into 2nd it chugs just a bit and then pulls really well into 3rd. Once I'm in 3rd, it doesn't really matter if I'm going 30 mph or 50 mph. It just cruises along with little to no throttle input. Coming down in speed past 55 it does vibrate a bit, but I blame that more on the rest of the drive train than the trans.

Also if anyone reading this is planning on doing this swap, don't make the same mistake I did. Check your starter to flywheel clearance with the bellhousing off. It will be a lot easier than grinding the starter, re-shimming and grinding again/shimming until it engages.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts