GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Cross Into the Blue
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sup guys, im gonna be going to big bend over spring break with a bunch of buddies. i was wondering what kind of off-roading opportunities exist out there, i hear its pretty cool....whats the deal?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Speaking of off-roading... hows that LT kit treating you these days? Does it soak up the big bumps enough to maintain speed through the sand without getting stuck?

Oh yeah... I'm driving to Texas on Friday and driving home Saturday afternoon - need anything from California? :bawl: 2800+ miles in three days.

Jeff @ PLC
www.PerformanceLifts.com

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
Big bend is an awesome area. You goig to the national or state park? Ive backpacked through just about every mile of trail in the national park. As far as wheeling goes there are some back desert trails running off the roads. They probably arnt legal but would be hella fun in your truck!

·
Line-X of San Antonio
5,237 Posts
Jeff[email protected] said:
Speaking of off-roading... hows that LT kit treating you these days? Does it soak up the big bumps enough to maintain speed through the sand without getting stuck?

Oh yeah... I'm driving to Texas on Friday and driving home Saturday afternoon - need anything from California? :bawl: 2800+ miles in three days.

Jeff @ PLC
www.PerformanceLifts.com
;) :read: :anitoof:

·
Cross Into the Blue
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cool, ill have to check some of those out....illegal offroading is always fun....and i think we will be staying on the nat. park.....

whoa jeff whats up man? long time no see. 2800 miles in 3 days? thats freakin crazy lol. what are you comin down here for? and where are you goin? the kit holding up well...and works pretty damn good too...ive been in some pretty nasty sand at the beach here where they dont groom it and i was doin ok....just had to be careful when i stop. those mtr's like to dig though...the best is going fast over dirt roads, thats fun stuff right there, and im hopin there will be some of that at big bend. :evillol: i wanted to ask you if they ever made some tie rods like i was looking for. im still paranoid about mine lol, with good reason. i was thinking that this summer if no one has made them yet, i might try to figure something out myself, but i dunno bout that....

·
Cross Into the Blue
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the last 1400 miles better than the worst? obviously youve never been to or lived in texas....besides, who would wanna live in that liberal wasteland that is california? :gay: :idiot:

·
Registered
48 Posts
CrazyAggie05 said:
the last 1400 miles better than the worst? obviously youve never been to or lived in texas....besides, who would wanna live in that liberal wasteland that is california? :gay: :idiot:
:LOL: haha. Ok, I'll give you the liberal part, but Arnold in my governor. Give him some time and that terminator instinct will kick back in and he’ll take all those liberals out.

Arnold----> :guns: :gay: <----Liberals

P.S. And no, I have never been to Texas. Hopefully this summer me and few others will try to make it to Heat Wave. But I don't think it stands up against So Cal. Both have their Pros and Cons, but Cali is still :rocking:

·
Registered
25 Posts
If you need some upgrade tie rods let me know - at least one company is making them now. I'm heading out to Dallas to pick up a 4000lb lathe. I hate this drive and the last time I did it I vowed never to do it again... never say never I guess. It's just such a boring drive when you have to get it done in 3 days. My least favorite section is all of New Mexico. Leaving California... not too bad... driving through Arizona goes by pretty quick... hit the New Mexico border and it just sucks... then it's like an entire day to get from the west end of Texas to Dallas. Toss the lathe on the trailer and drive right back. This is probably the worst road trip ever but it's for a good cause... with the lathe I could BUILD you a nice set of custom tie rods :)

Jeff @ PLC
www.PerformanceLifts.com

·
Cross Into the Blue
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
dayum thats a big freakin lathe! what are you gonna do with that thing? you opening up a custom fab shop now? who is making those tie rods? do they replace the whole thing like the ones i wanted(i.e. camburg truck)?

·
2,451 Posts
Jeff said:
Arnold is a pussy :read: as far as politics go. he is far from a REAL conservative.
:word: arnold is better than a liberal, but isnt a sean hannity or a rush limbaugh, but he is way better than Davis, so well take him. Im not from cali, but anything will help the republicans-.

·
Registered
21 Posts
i go to school in alpine. main offroading in big bend is rockcrawling. there are some dirt trails that you can take in the mountains for some nice scenic views.

funny story...last semester we were leaving for a game friday morning and 2 of my friends, a guard and and another kid not on the team, go hunting down in black gap wma and take one of our QBs truck, since they drive a 2003 silverado on 20s and the other a grand am. well we dont hear from them and i go to sleep only to be awakened at 5am saying we need to go down there to get the truck out of sand. it was pretty much in the rio grande. there is NO service for cell phones, so they walk 18 miles in the pitch dark on dirt trails in the middle of the night and break into the headquarters to use the phone. so we haul ass in my tahoe and get them out and end up having to drive to seguin by ourselves for the game. it is beautiful down there though, although it started raining one time and 4wd was a must.

email me at [email protected] for my cell # if you want, id be down for heading out there. ill be back this Sunday night, im assuming your spring break is next week, so ill be back. later

·
Cross Into the Blue
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well i got back from my trip on wednessday, and sad to say, i really didnt get to do much offroading...for one, we got fucked by the park rangers....secondly, one day was pretty much ruined because my friends partents jeep grand cherokees cooling fan self destructed(i have no frekain idea how, but it managed to punture the cooling shroud!), so we had to tow that thing around to find a place to get it fixed. and lemme tell you, there aint SHIT in west texas. and lastly, i was running around all the time with my buddies, who dont sheare my affection for offroading, and i neve really got a chance to do any, but i did do a little, and it was fun.

just for yalls f.y.i., big bend is pretty cool...like the park it self is great. but the people there, like the park rangers there, blow ass and will not help you for shit. theres nothing in west texas, which complicates things if you have an emergency, and ummm yeah dont take shit from park rangers...

·
Banned
1,045 Posts
Park Rangers are there to preserve the park, and keep disrepectful shelfish assholes like you from screwing it up for the rest of us!

There is a site you can go to and make reservations to go wheeling in the backcountry, but you have to stay on the trails and respect the enviroment.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The "off-road" trails in Big Bend were no match for my new Auburn LSD and i got thru them all in 2WD.

Bout the only thing you need out there is clearance.

I did however accidentaly go down a trail that really wasnt a trail and my buddy in his Jeep got highcentered on some sand. Luckily i never got stuck but that was suppose to be illega, as its illegal to get off any of the roads.

I dont condone breaking the law either, and it was an accident as there really was no indication that we were going the wrong way.

Anyway, if you camp out at a primitive campsite you should enjoy the quietness and vast expance of the desert :)

We camped out near an old mine (forgot what kind) and hiked up to the mine the following morning.

Best trail was BlackGap, still did it in 2WD :)

Dont go wandering around alone, as there have been at least 2 reported cougar attacks in the park :)

·
Cross Into the Blue
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
teralingua is on the other side of the park from where we were most of the time, but one of my buddies had a heat stroke, and he went to teralingua for some medical help, but there was none there, so they sent him to alpine.

as for park rangers, never were we "disrespectful or assholes" towards them, yet they showed that attitude towards us. and as for being selfish, im pretty sure asking for help was never a part of being selfish.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts