GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

I inherited my dad's 04 Silverado HD LS with the 6.6 Duramax.

Anybody know
Which oil is best?
Oil change interval?
Expected lifespan of the engine?
What the tyranny is? Auto 5 or 6 speed. I think 6.
Lifespan of that tyranny?
Vehicle has about 125k of pretty easy miles.

Thank you, in advance.
B

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,401 Posts
It would be handy to know if its a 2004 or late 2004/2004.5. That'll be the difference between LB7 and LLY engines. And either one is going to have the 5 speed Allison transmission still.

as for oil and change interval, crack open the owners manual and see what it says. probably something along the lines of 5-10K miles with 15W-40 oil. Also don't forget about the fuel filter.

transmission and engine life will depend on how you drive it and use it as a truck. Keep the engine stock and the fluid changed the transmission will last much longer than if you tow heavy a lot, never change the fluid and have it tuned. Life of the engine again comes down to maintenance and how you use/ abuse it. My dad had a 2001 LB7 Duramax truck he traded in with 356k miles on it, and it was still in perfect running order, and it had been tuned as well as had intake and exhaust, and towed fairly regularly. Although if you have an LB7 you will need new injectors at some point.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Damn I love these forums!

I'll call Chevy and find out about the engine.

I asked customer service on the phone about oil change interval and he said at least once a year. Even when I prompted him to be more specific, because I know it has to be more detailed than that, he would not.

The interesting thing is that, at a little over 3k since the last oil change, the readout on the dash said to change engine oil.

Change fuel filter how often?
Can you define what you mean by tuning a transmission?
(I know how to tune a guitar but not a fish! Lol)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hi all.

I inherited my dad's 04 Silverado HD LS with the 6.6 Duramax.

Anybody know
Which oil is best?
Oil change interval?
Expected lifespan of the engine?
What the tyranny is? Auto 5 or 6 speed. I think 6.
Lifespan of that tyranny?
Vehicle has about 125k of pretty easy miles.

Thank you, in advance.
B

Rotella T6!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
144 Posts
Yeah?
Whyzat?
How many miles between changes?

Research it and find out, this way you learn. No one can tell you how often to change your oil, depends on your driving habits and whether you tow or not. I changed mine every 4-5K

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Research it and find out, this way you learn. No one can tell you how often to change your oil, depends on your driving habits and whether you tow or not. I changed mine every 4-5K

Thank you.

·
cunts
2,742 Posts
The tyranny of the Allison 1000 will last forever.

For my 06, I used Rotella every 7500 miles or so and an AC Delco fuel filter + Allison spin on trans filter every other oil change. Truck had like 450k when I sold it, still runs like a top.

Reactions: TXGREEK

·
Bigger, Longer, and UnCut
987 Posts
Use the T6 which is full synthetic and you can easily go 10k miles between changes, let the computer tell you when yo change the oil. I believe yours has the calculated number which is based off actual revolutions. If the tranny fluid has never been changed I would do that also and go with transynd fully synthetic. As stated yours has the 5 speed Allison. While I was at it I would tune it better performance and mpg's and do a shift kit. These can help longevity, but its all in how you drive it.

·
Super Moderator
6,278 Posts
Amsoil diesel 15/40 with their signature series filter....cant get any better than that. I'm a dealer and can hook you up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts