GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
//Negative Camber\\
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not sure where this is suppose to go, so if it needs to go somewhere else could a mod please move it.

I have what I beleive to be the towing package on my 97 GMC C1500. For the tranny I have a line from the tranny to a cooler in front of the radiator then a line from that cooler to the passenger side of the radiator then a line from the lower passenger side radiator back to the tranny. So basically a 2 stage cooling for the trans. Then the oil has a line to and from the engine on the driver side radiator. I am bodydropping the truck and am trying to clean up the engine compartment. That and some of these lines are in the way of the body drop.

Is it possible to plug these lines at the engine and trans? Will fluid still flow properly? Do I need to put in a loop to eliminate the lines? I am mainly just want to make sure that all the fluid will still flow through okay.

Thanks,
Chad

·
Sweet bottom num nums
496 Posts
you dont want to eliminate them, they keep the motor running cooler and healthier. get some stainless braided line and reroute them to your liking plus it will look trick

·
//Negative Camber\\
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I understand that they keep the motor running cooler and healthier, but the point is that they are in the way. Re routing or not, the input and output on the radiator is in the way. I am sure the motor will still run just as good as it does now. And on top of that, this is not going to be a daily for me ever again most likely so I am not as worried about it running a little hotter than before. Besides that, there are hundreds of trucks out there that don't have 2 stage trans coolers and oil coolers and they run just fine. Also, replacing the lines is expensive and I am reaching the end of my budget.

Thanks for your input, but at the very least the oil cooler lines have to go. I may be able to reroute the trans lines, but I will not be putting much money into the solution. I would rather get rid of it then spend a lot of money on cooling that is not necessary for a truck that will not get driven that much.

Thanks,
Chad

·
Sweet bottom num nums
496 Posts
check your post on fullsize a guy on there has some good indo for you i also pm'd you

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
You MUST have the ATF lines through the radiator. That is the transmission's main means of cooling itself. The aux cooler is VERY smart to keep.

Rebending lines is easy with some proper diameter tubing and a flare tool.

·
//Negative Camber\\
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The problem is that getting the tubing and flaring tool costs money and I am running out of it. That and I don't know the first thing about flaring hard line.

Can you just cut the line and splice/extend with some high pressure soft line (fuel injection hose) with some worm clamps? If that is the case, I can do it for free as I have all of that already. I know this works for fuel lines, but would it work for transmission?

And don't get me wrong, I do want to keep it, but when there is no room to keep it, I may not have an option. And for now it isn't looking good.

Thanks,
Chad

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
First rule of projects: ALWAYS double the laid out cost for parts. Shit always comes up. If you can't spend another $100 for this stuff, we have an issue.

·
//Negative Camber\\
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You have no idea what my budget is so don't come on here saying we have an issue because I can't afford $100. I can afford it and I have aloted far more than double what I initially wanted to spend on this so spare me the "rules of projects" crap. I would just rather spend my money elsewhere on the project. Pardon me for wanting to save some fucking money.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Here's an idea, go fuck yourself then. Take yourself and your FSC banner back over there.

If you have the vast budget you say you do, do the project properly. Halfassing anything only causes issues in the end.

·
resident pyromaniac
7,498 Posts
You have no idea what my budget is so don't come on here saying we have an issue because I can't afford $100. I can afford it and I have aloted far more than double what I initially wanted to spend on this so spare me the "rules of projects" crap. I would just rather spend my money elsewhere on the project. Pardon me for wanting to save some fucking money.
:chillpill the fuck out dude. you asked for advice and thats what you got:wank:

·
//Negative Camber\\
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I do have deep enough pockets to replumb the fucking thing, but that is not the questions. If anyone would bother to read I said that the input and the output on the radiator are in the fucking way. The question is can I just get rid of it, not how would you do it.

I didn't ask for other solutions, just if getting rid of it would work.

Can a mod lock this or delete it or something. I am done with this.

Chad

1 - 11 of 11 Posts