GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
should i trust the computer in the engine to tell me when to change the oil or should i do it every 3000 miles, cuz its been more then 3000 miles and it hasnt told me to change it yet so let me here your advice. thanks

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
if its conventional, just do it every 3K. it costs all of what, 18$ to do it yourself with the decent stuff? cheap insurance IMO...and if you drive about 12000 miles a year, you are only spending 70$ a year in oil changes...

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
But, I guess my answer is that it varies. The computer judges on RPMs and such. If you have old oil in their for three years, you'd never get the computer to warn you. At 3000, i'll check mine and judge it from there. If it seems it needs it, I do it, or let it ride for another 1000.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Just change it in a reasonable manner. City driving will need more often changes than only freeway.

·
The Woolly One
404 Posts
I've gotten to where Bessie's get changed whenever it looks/smells/feels/tastes like it needs it. Sometimes it's 3k, sometimes it's closer to 7k. You also have to factor in money and laziness.

·
Resident Guinea Wop
14,542 Posts
I've gotten to where Bessie's get changed whenever it looks/smells/feels/tastes like it needs it. Sometimes it's 3k, sometimes it's closer to 7k. You also have to factor in money and laziness.
Holy SHIT where have ya been? Haven't posted since April!?!

Welcome back man!

·
The Woolly One
404 Posts
Yep, had my wreck in April (gettin' ready to start fixin' stuff on her, should be fun stuff), then the kid came in may (I promise to get pictures up), and I've just been otherwise occupied. Good to be back.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
One of the new trucks at work just got the oil change indicator. just over 3k miles but over 550 engine hours. I was wondering myself if it went by miles, hours, combination of rpms, speed, etc etc. Either way, it'll get changed soon enough.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts