GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search and didn't find anything specific to my problem.

1 of the lines is leaking (rusting out) and the replacement line on rockauto looks nothing like mine.
I have the 5.3 and the line that is leaking is coming out of the top of the rad tank on the passenger side and goes down and under the rad.

It looks like it goes to a small cooler in front of the rad..but the second line from that cooler goes back towards the transmission. As does the bottom line from the rad tank...

I'm assuming if I order or ask for the top oil cooler line..I'm going to end up with the one showing on rock auto..

·
Registered
368 Posts
Afaik, you have to replace the entire assembly, not just a line...mine looks like the one in the RA pic u posted. But sounds like yours must be different than mine. Both my oil cooler lines run to the driver side of the rad...

Not a difficult job, did mine last weekend. Just a pita getting the thing out (twist and turn it til you can clear the diff)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
tks herkdriver. I guess I'm going to have to roll around in the slush and snow and trace the lines. It doesn't make any sense to me. The way the lines run it's like the oil goes through the rad and the cooler out front.
That would make sense if it was the trans cooler lines..but my trans fluid is at the full mark and my oil was down 3 quarts..

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Afaik, you have to replace the entire assembly, not just a line...mine looks like the one in the RA pic u posted. But sounds like yours must be different than mine. Both my oil cooler lines run to the driver side of the rad...

Not a difficult job, did mine last weekend. Just a pita getting the thing out (twist and turn it til you can clear the diff)
watch out for the little clips!!! They love to fly out, are a pain in the ass and are very hard to find. Remember to replace the plastic ring to retain the spring clips in place.

·
Premium Member
6,277 Posts
I did a search and didn't find anything specific to my problem.

1 of the lines is leaking (rusting out) and the replacement line on rockauto looks nothing like mine.
I have the 5.3 and the line that is leaking is coming out of the top of the rad tank on the passenger side and goes down and under the rad.

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=74570[img]

It looks like it goes to a small cooler in front of the rad..but the second line from that cooler goes back towards the transmission. As does the bottom line from the rad tank...

I'm assuming if I order or ask for the top oil cooler line..I'm going to end up with the one showing on rock auto..
[IMG]https://www.rockauto.com/info/42/625-209-007__ra_p.jpg[IMG][/quote]

the engine oil cooler will go into the radiator only, no external cooler. What youre seeing is the trans cooler line. What color is the "oil" that's leaking? Thatll tell you what it is.

The engine oil cooler runs to the driver side of the block, above the oil filter.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
that was the issue..the oil in the driveway and on the "skid pan" was black (engine oil).
Checked it a couple of days ago and there was 3 drops of tranny fluid on the snow.
Sooo..not only do I have leaking oil cooler lines..the line I pictured above is a transmission cooler line that needs to be replaced.
I didn't know I even had an engine oil cooler until it started leaking. lol

·
This place sucks dicks
4,938 Posts
Dis is the line you need - ACDelco 15809058 GM Original Equipment Automatic Transmission Fluid Auxiliary Cooler Inlet Line

·
Banned
366 Posts
Cut the old line out and get some fuel line and clamps. Problem solved.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dis is the line you need - ACDelco 15809058 GM Original Equipment Automatic Transmission Fluid Auxiliary Cooler Inlet Line
thanks. got it on order..
I thought about just bypassing the oil cooler but I tow a 21 foot speedboat in the summer..for the price of the line..it's cheap insurance.

·
Banned
366 Posts
Don't bypass just replace is what I was trying to say...

·
This place sucks dicks
4,938 Posts
thanks. got it on order..
I thought about just bypassing the oil cooler but I tow a 21 foot speedboat in the summer..for the price of the line..it's cheap insurance.
Alternatively, you can cut the line on either side of the crimps and hose clamp a new hose on there.

Edit: just took the time to read that 88ktool posted the same thing.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well..I picked up the oil cooler line and the trans line, took them to my mechanic, he put the truck on the rack and......my truck does not have an oil cooler...*sigh*
The only thing under the truck that had oil on it was the sway bar and the filter....so we went with the assumption the filter started leaking which was a first for me.
Changed the oil, filter and leaking trans cooler line and knock on wood..everything is good.

·
Lifetime GM supporter.
104 Posts
that was the issue..the oil in the driveway and on the "skid pan" was black (engine oil).
Checked it a couple of days ago and there was 3 drops of tranny fluid on the snow.
Sooo..not only do I have leaking oil cooler lines..the line I pictured above is a transmission cooler line that needs to be replaced.
I didn't know I even had an engine oil cooler until it started leaking. lol
And watch it when you unclup from the trans cooler. The cooler cracked in my 04 when the line was taken out. So, I did 3 lines and the cooler too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts