GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my truck for an oil change and noticed they put a bosch filter in it. They also added 5 20 high milage synthetic oil (penzoil) I had no problems with it until a couple of weeks ago, I notice the engine ticking for a couple of seconds. The ticking goes away after a few seconds. I drive a 5.3l Silverado. I've done research and saw that the Bosch and Fram filters are no good. Is that true ??

·
Premium Member
974 Posts
What year is your truck?, Ecotech or Vortec they each call for different oil.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I figured the 5 20 wouldn't be a good idea lol. I just said the high mileage oil and they put 5 20 on it.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've been seeing that oil filter a lot on forums. I'm gonna try it!!!

·
x3 shitbox owner
3,611 Posts
All I run is Wix filters

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok. I just thought it was odd when I heard the ticking noise after I changed the oil. I'll def keep this thread in mind when I change my oil again !!!

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Here’s what a FRAM did to my car. Sucked up the cardboard filter.

Never ticked, just dropped pressure

·
Registered
285 Posts
I agree that you need to get the correct oil in it right away. Do you really want to risk damaging your engine while you drive it thousands of miles waiting for the next oci? I would go back to the idiots that put the wrong oil in it and make them put the right weight in. For free. Or else. And bring a Wix filter with you so they can change it at the same time.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
[QUOTE="RedXray The WIX 51522 is the best oil filter for these trucks. It's the longer filter but not so long to hang below the oil pan.

Where can I buy the wix filter at ??? Did you really use that mobil 1 euro 0w 40??

·
Toxic Masculinity
3,621 Posts
Where can I buy the wix filter at ??? Did you really use that mobil 1 euro 0w 40??
I buy my WIX filters at Oreillys Auto.

I've done a lot of research on motor oils for these engines over at LS1-Tech and various other forums. The Mobil 1 European 0W-40 has a little lower viscosity than the advertised 40. Tests show it's closer to mid/high 30. This helps with noisy (sewing machine) valvetrain issues in performance camshaft engines.

To meet the United States NHTSA (CAFE) standards auto manufactures keep lowering the recommended oil viscosity's in favor of fuel mileage. European car companies like BMW, Porsche, Mercedes etc... on some of their cars they do not comply to the cafe standards in favor of engine protection, then NHTSA hits these European vehicles with the "gas guzzler" tax.

Through the years oil companies keep dropping the ZDDP (zinc) levels to keep catalytic converters happy (clogging issues) especially with worn engines that consumes more oil. I have no cats but it takes a shitload of ZDDP additives to have clogging issues.

ZDDP isn't as important with today's roller cam engines than with yesterdays flat tappet engines. It is still a great anti-wear agent to have in motor oil. Mobil 1 European has the most ZDDP you can buy except for Mobile 1 15W-50 racing oil and the expensive "boutique" oils like Amsoil, Driven, Red Line etc. I've also read this oil starts as a "group IV / V" basestock which is higher than most over the counter oils. The Euro 0W-40 can be found at Walmart for $25 for a 5qt jug.

You can compare the Phosphors and ZDDP levels on this chart to the other oils Mobil 1 offers.

·
Read Only
2000 GMC Sierra 1500 SL Z71 edition, 5.3 Vortec V8, 4X4, Red, Extended Cab, Automatic
81 Posts
Well I would be more concerned with them using 5 20 than the filter
I was using wix and having this problem until someone recommended using acdelco filter and full synthetic 5 30 oil, I also had to replace my oil sending unit tho but that may also be an option for you. I drive a 2000 GMC Sierra 1500.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 135 Posts