GMC Truck Forum banner

Oil filter preference

21K views 134 replies 20 participants last post by  Rocket Man 
#1 ·
I took my truck for an oil change and noticed they put a bosch filter in it. They also added 5 20 high milage synthetic oil (penzoil) I had no problems with it until a couple of weeks ago, I notice the engine ticking for a couple of seconds. The ticking goes away after a few seconds. I drive a 5.3l Silverado. I've done research and saw that the Bosch and Fram filters are no good. Is that true ??

#13 ·
Here’s what a FRAM did to my car. Sucked up the cardboard filter.

Never ticked, just dropped pressure

#16 ·
I agree that you need to get the correct oil in it right away. Do you really want to risk damaging your engine while you drive it thousands of miles waiting for the next oci? I would go back to the idiots that put the wrong oil in it and make them put the right weight in. For free. Or else. And bring a Wix filter with you so they can change it at the same time.

#19 ·
Where can I buy the wix filter at ??? Did you really use that mobil 1 euro 0w 40??
I buy my WIX filters at Oreillys Auto.

I've done a lot of research on motor oils for these engines over at LS1-Tech and various other forums. The Mobil 1 European 0W-40 has a little lower viscosity than the advertised 40. Tests show it's closer to mid/high 30. This helps with noisy (sewing machine) valvetrain issues in performance camshaft engines.

To meet the United States NHTSA (CAFE) standards auto manufactures keep lowering the recommended oil viscosity's in favor of fuel mileage. European car companies like BMW, Porsche, Mercedes etc... on some of their cars they do not comply to the cafe standards in favor of engine protection, then NHTSA hits these European vehicles with the "gas guzzler" tax.

Through the years oil companies keep dropping the ZDDP (zinc) levels to keep catalytic converters happy (clogging issues) especially with worn engines that consumes more oil. I have no cats but it takes a shitload of ZDDP additives to have clogging issues.

ZDDP isn't as important with today's roller cam engines than with yesterdays flat tappet engines. It is still a great anti-wear agent to have in motor oil. Mobil 1 European has the most ZDDP you can buy except for Mobile 1 15W-50 racing oil and the expensive "boutique" oils like Amsoil, Driven, Red Line etc. I've also read this oil starts as a "group IV / V" basestock which is higher than most over the counter oils. The Euro 0W-40 can be found at Walmart for $25 for a 5qt jug.

You can compare the Phosphors and ZDDP levels on this chart to the other oils Mobil 1 offers.

#22 ·
I own a 2002 Silverado and a 2006 Sierra, I use 5w30 high mileage mobile one oil non synthetic oil with a ACDelco filter. I also like the high mileage Pennzoil non synthetic oil. I tried the Wix oil filter and I didn’t notice any difference so I went back the ACDelco. Honestly I’ve used ACDelco oil filters my whole life and never had a problem.

#26 ·
KeishaSue-
I love the fact that you’re a girl who is into trucks. Not only are you into trucks, but you’re into them enough to join a truck forum. Not only did you join a truck forum but you’re posting on an oil filter thread! I love it!!
That being said- please get rid of the stars and bars on you’re hood. If it’s vinyl, strip it off. If it's painted, repaint it black and add a white 3 for Dale, or something-anything else.

#28 ·
KeishaSue-
I love the fact that you’re a girl who is into trucks. Not only are you into trucks, but you’re into them enough to join a truck forum. Not only did you join a truck forum but you’re posting on an oil filter thread! I love it!!
That being said- please get rid of the stars and bars on you’re hood. If it’s vinyl, strip it off. If it's painted, repaint it black and add a white 3 for Dale, or something-anything else.
Why?

#33 ·
I’ve finally had a chance to sit down, relax and have a cocktail so I’m now ready to reply to this thread.

Kskrew- Sorry for hijacking your thread. FWIW- I’ve always used either an OEM or Wix oil filter and definitely full synthetic oil of at least the recommended viscosity. I’ve used a higher viscosity when I’ve installed a supercharger or a turbocharger on previous vehicles.

RedXray- Thanks for the recommendation of the longer Wix 51522. If I’m not already using that filter, I’ll investigate it for my next oil change. More filtration is always better!

dumbguy123-You’re right, It’s not my place to tell someone what or what not to have on their hood.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.