GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys I got a problem. The oil pressure gauge on my truck went sky high this weekend and won't go back down. What is wrong? How can i fix it? Thanks for any help.

·
Resident Guinea ***
14,535 Posts
Could be a faulty gauge. I'd reseat the harness going to your cluster first. It could very well be your sending unit too.

Do you have a 2nd cluster to test the gauge with?

The sending unit is in the top rear of the engine, drivers side, pointing up. Reseat that connection also.

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
or try resetting your entire system, disconnect the negative battery cable and keep it disconnected for a minute or so and then reconnect

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ive been told by a local guys it could be the sending unit. I don't have another cluster to check it with, but i had thought of setting the system and see what that does cause its an easy thing to try. I'll also try to check the connection on the sending unit.

Do i have to take the engine cover off to get to the sending unit?

·
Resident Guinea ***
14,535 Posts
GM Service steps

Engine Oil Pressure Sensor and/or Switch Replacement
Tools Required
J 41712 Oil Pressure Switch Socket

Removal Procedure

If necessary, remove the engine sight shield. Refer to Engine Sight Shield Replacement .
Disconnect the oil pressure sensor electrical connector (1).

Using J 41712 or equivalent, remove the oil pressure sensor.
Installation Procedure

Apply sealant GM P/N 12346004, (Canadian P/N 10953480), or equivalent, to the threads of the oil pressure sensor.

Notice
Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

Using J 41712 or equivalent, install the oil pressure sensor. Tighten
Tighten the oil pressure sensor to 30 N·m (22 lb ft).

Connect the oil pressure sensor electrical connector (1).
If necessary, install the engine sight shield. Refer to Engine Sight Shield Replacement .

·
a.k.a. turbodan
3,220 Posts
its kindof a bitch to change it without the intake off. you cant see much. Id put money on the sending unit.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thats what im figuring also. But just to try it I'll do the battery trick. Will it hurt for the truck to be driven like this? Cause im going to have to get it to a shop.

·
Under Construction
8,417 Posts
ive had to do mine, i just pulled the intake and its so much easier

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well i called my mechanic also and he said to reset the computer. So i did that and it works fine. Thanks everyone for the responces.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
or try resetting your entire system, disconnect the negative battery cable and keep it disconnected for a minute or so and then reconnect
That shit solves like 10% of dealership trips. :rofl2: And with Dodge/Chysler, the transmission reset buy putting the automatic transmission in 1st then back to park. Damn computers.

·
Resident Guinea ***
14,535 Posts
That shit solves like 10% of dealership trips. :rofl2: And with Dodge/Chysler, the transmission reset buy putting the automatic transmission in 1st then back to park. Damn computers.
Shut Down and Reboot.
Call me back if you still have problems, Ok?

/ctrl-alt-del
//no call back

:jester:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts