GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Fender Measurements?
21,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I polished my truck not that long ago. Id say it was in April. I already have quite a bit of swirls back and its bugging the shit out of me. Im going to re-polish it but i want it to last longer this time.

Here's how i wash:
Rinse
Foam entire truck-let sit for a few minutes
Rinse
Foam panel, wash off with mitt and hose off
Move on through the entire truck
Wheels/tires last because the tires are a pain and the most dirty thing there
Final Rinse
Then i dry it off with an absorber.

Anything that could help the progress of keeping the paint looking better and have my polish lasting longer? Its such a pain to polish my truck because i have to use a step ladder. But ill do it anyway.

Heres what i use when i polish, maybe you guys can recommend something else.

McGuires Clay bar
SSR2.5
SSR1
Natty Blue

thats all i use. Should i be using a glaze? Still somewhat n00bish.

·
Never Around
1,436 Posts
Have you applied any other coats of wax since April?

It's VERY difficult to keep a DD swirl free. Especially since you like sandy Pismo so much.

·
GMFS MoPar/Air Force Crew
5,457 Posts
Its a truck right?

·
Fender Measurements?
21,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its your DD right?
yes
Have you applied any other coats of wax since April?

It's VERY difficult to keep a DD swirl free. Especially since you like sandy Pismo so much.
No i hadnt. Mike told me i should do nattys like every two months because it doesnt last for shit. That could be why. But yes this is my DD, i take it everywhere and that includes the camping trips on lots of dirt roads and basically anywhere.

·
Never Around
1,436 Posts
yes

No i hadnt. Mike told me i should do nattys like every two months because it doesnt last for shit. That could be why. But yes this is my DD, i take it everywhere and that includes the camping trips on lots of dirt roads and basically anywhere.
If you get extreme temperaturs ( >100) on a regular basis, consider applying a coat of wax even more often. Or you could lay down a sealant and then top with a wax...

But, 3 months is a long ass time IMO. Monthly for me at least.

·
Registered
10,591 Posts
Wash your wheels and tires first :imo

The only thing I could think of is your microfibers aren't completely clean

I use the foam gun then let it dwell for 3 minutes, depending how dirty it is I'll either rinse it and foam again and use the two bucket method or I'll just foam once and do the two bucket method then just rinse at the end.'

How do you rinse? If you're spraying perpendicular with the panel the water won't carry away contamination very well and will get caught in your microfiber.

Spray parallel to the panels so the water sheets off. This way there won't be as much water to wipe off either.

Unless you already do that of course.

edit: I throw a coat of Natty's on ever 2-3 washes. It goes on and off easy so it takes like 20 minutes for me.

·
Fender Measurements?
21,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you get extreme temperaturs ( >100) on a regular basis, consider applying a coat of wax even more often. Or you could lay down a sealant and then top with a wax...
well its been over 105* all week. Summers can get fairly bad. I dont even wash it when its this hot because its pointless.

·
Fender Measurements?
21,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wash your wheels and tires first :imo

The only thing I could think of is your microfibers aren't completely clean

I use the foam gun then let it dwell for 3 minutes, depending how dirty it is I'll either rinse it and foam again and use the two bucket method or I'll just foam once and do the two bucket method then just rinse at the end.'

How do you rinse? If you're spraying perpendicular with the panel the water won't carry away contamination very well and will get caught in your microfiber.

Spray parallel to the panels so the water sheets off. This way there won't be as much water to wipe off either.

Unless you already do that of course.
yeah you talked to me about the two bucket method:shake: I guess i can wash the wheels/tires first.

I spray parallel with the panels and it always comes right off.

·
Registered
60 Posts
That looks like a good wash procedure. The only think i can think of is your drying process with the absorber. Ive heard that Waffle Weave Micro Fibers are the way to go when drying....I picked some up from Chris not too long ago and i plan to dry with them after i polish my truck.

It makes sense to me that WW Towels are better because they have pockets as opposed to the absorber which is flat and smooth.....so if you pick up some dust or grit on the absorber, it will just push it around.

·
Fender Measurements?
21,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That looks like a good wash procedure. The only think i can think of is your drying process with the absorber. Ive heard that Waffle Weave Micro Fibers are the way to go when drying....I picked some up from Chris not too long ago and i plan to dry with them after i polish my truck.

It makes sense to me that WW Towels are better because they have pockets as opposed to the absorber which is flat and smooth.....so if you pick up some dust or grit on the absorber, it will just push it around.
im about to put an order in with Chris here shortly so ill probably throw a WW in there too.

·
GMFS MoPar/Air Force Crew
5,457 Posts
yeah but my truck is covered in them already.

Doesnt help my douchebag friend jumped off the bedrails yesterday :eek:

Don't feel bad, my douchebag friend slammed his door into my rear quarter panel two nights ago. :hahano:

·
Never Around
1,436 Posts
Forgot to mention...

Don't use the same mit for the top 2/3's as the bottom 1/3 and...

Use a completely different mit& bucket for wheels/tires.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts