GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 150 Posts

·
Show Trucks R 4 Gays
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So After gettin yelled at by Marcus for never making build threads, and getting out of class early today. I decided to make build threads for Big Rd and Ole poo poo. This build thread will go from the point I bought it, until current. And I am keeping the budget on this one fairly low

Plans are
Suspension
-52" rear springs up front with DIY4X B52s and a few leafs removed and a 7.25" shackle
-Possibly a 4* shim depending on caster angle
-56" rears I pulled out of a 1 ton with DIY4X shackle flip also with leafs removed and a 6" shackle

Steering
-I have some 1.5" .250 DOM with 7/8" Hex tube inserts, 14tpi left and right hand threads
- 7/8" Ballistic Fab rod ends with High Mis spacers. All go from 7/8" down to 5/8" but the joint at the end I have drilled out the pitman arm to 3/4". So I have a 7/8" to 3/4" high mis spacer there.
- I have some Blue torch Fab rod end high steer arms That I milled to accept ballistic Fabs high miss spacer that were on my truck once. I am still debating on weather to go highsteer like on my truck, but might have oil pan clearance issues staying so low.
-I will have a 2wd box for Xover steering and I am going to try out EMS offroad caps for my hydro line hookups. (I like testing out different companies stuff)
-Since I am trying to stay fairly cheap, I will be running PSC lines with a surplus center or PSC ram
- I will be staying with the stock pump and adding some radiator hose for a longer filler neck. I will also do the west texas offroad mod for a bit more pressure.

Axles
- I scored a free 14 bolt off FSC from a local guy with 4.10s and in decent shape. I built a 14 bolt cover for it from Copperhead fab, which was decent product but they cut one of the plates 1/2" to short so I plasma cut another peice to make up the difference and its not even noticable.
- On the axle I will be Inboarding the rear shocks, Using some Ballistic Fab disk break brackets for disk brakes in the rear. I also have their pinion gaurd.
- I will also post some pics of the spring perches I build later.

-As for the Dana 60, I posted up a ad on Craigslist *wanted chevy 60* and a week later I got a bite. I wound up being in the same major and me and the guy actually had a class together last year. So we worked out a trade. I traded him my old Mile marker 10.5 Hydraulic winch and some 4" shackles from ORD and he gace me the Dana 60 and the 56" rears. (he is moving to 2.5 rocks) I have a SOLID D60 cover I will be using for it.

Front shock setup will be modified ford shock towers.

That is the basics, so on with some pics

Day I towed it home off the Military base in huntsville alabama

n50314407_33083436_3240.jpg

Changed the fluids, cut some fender...And had to go test it out on the New 36" Iroks I had for it

IMG_1061.jpg

Cleaned it that night and next day was some body work time. I pulled out all the Military radio shit, ground down the floors, installed a radio with 2 6.5" speakers in the doors. I used Hurculiner and it has not held up for shit. So it will be all getting removed and Durabak will be used...MUCH better product.

IMG_1051.jpg

Plasma cut the the rust spots out

IMG_1022.jpg

welded some 16 gauge in

IMG_1029.jpg

·
Show Trucks R 4 Gays
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
bed liner inside done

IMG_1035.jpg

IMG_1036.jpg

Not long after, went wheelin one night and broke a 10 bolt axle shaft

IMG_1084.jpg

IMG_1093.jpg

I fixed that a night later. No biggie.

Then went and showed the jeeps up at the paradise ride
Pics seen here

http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=150746

Since then I have wheeled it several more times, Taken out the passanger side door and window, and had gotten lots more body trimming.

On the list to do also

-Bumpers
-interior cage
-tube doors
- after the 41s wear out, take the 42s off Big red for the blazer and get some Pitbull rockers for Big red

Here is the start of some of the build

Fender trimm

IMG_1368.jpg

DIY4X stuff

Blazerstuff.jpg

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
hit me up if you need any pointers/tips about any of it...

btw, go 64s rear. fuck 56 rear. they are useful up front...thats about it :)

·
Show Trucks R 4 Gays
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am keeping this one fairly simple and dont feel like moving the front hanger in the rear. 56" rears will do what I need them to do. And newer chevy springs are 63"s not 64"s

·
DeepSouth Gangster
5,669 Posts
I'm pretty sure post-'07 springs are 64s.

·
DeepSouth Gangster
5,669 Posts
I know the newest trucks are 64s, they may even be old enough to be in the '03-'05 trucks. I'm not 100% sure on that though.

·
5,501 Posts
ive never actually measured. some people say 63s. some say 64. whatever, its 99+ springs. its just knocking out 10 more rivits total and drilling those holes. i wasn't a fan of the extra work, but its WELL worth it.
63f95675.jpg

IMGP0338.jpg

those pics are old...but it gives you some idea. i could lift one tire 48+" on stock steering and short shocks.

·
Show Trucks R 4 Gays
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Its the same how some people say chevy fronts are 46 some say 47. I am not bothered by the extra work, Look at my truck it has never stayed the same from more than a month. I am just not doing anything special, and all thats needed for 56s is to flop the shackle flip brackets. This if for the girlfriend and friends to wheel so its staying pretty baseline

·
5,501 Posts
Its the same how some people say chevy fronts are 46 some say 47. I am not bothered by the extra work, Look at my truck it has never stayed the same from more than a month. I am just not doing anything special, and all thats needed for 56s is to flop the shackle flip brackets. This if for the girlfriend and friends to wheel so its staying pretty baseline
thats cool. as much as that truck was driven and wheeled since then, im happy with the extra few hours of labor i put in it.

·
5,501 Posts
let me find one or two. i knocked out all but the top most, front most rivet on the rear hanger. moved it up to the body mount, drilled holes, and moved the eye up like 2" total. also have a 1.5" adjustment on my AAL. its still like 3-4" back from stock and i LOVE it. kept the front of the bedside stock...hahaha

ok, not the best pics. but whatever.
100_0338.jpg

IMGP0290.jpg

IMGP0243.jpg

it worked out perfect for me doing it that way. allowed me to fit 42s in the rear easy. a couple more inches of lift and moving the axle back to where the center pin truely is, id be ready for 47s

·
Show Trucks R 4 Gays
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I had to trim the piss out of the front of the bedside as I bent it tottaly ino the frame on the passanger side. So off it came lol

*edit, So much for keeping it very simple. Guy that I got the 60 from just called and asked if I needed a 203/205

·
5,501 Posts
I had to trim the piss out of the front of the bedside as I bent it tottaly ino the frame on the passanger side. So off it came lol

*edit, So much for keeping it very simple. Guy that I got the 60 from just called and asked if I needed a 203/205
have fun with that heavy bastard...IMO doublers are becoming a thing of the past. i have a couple friends that have HAD them...wont run them again...atlas from here on out.

·
Show Trucks R 4 Gays
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am a big fan of the black box. Thats what will be going in my truck. I dont want to run an atlas as my front shaft will become shorter increasing driveline angle and making my rear shaft even longer. They both have their ups and downs IMO Thanks for the Pics BTW

·
5,501 Posts
I am a big fan of the black box. Thats what will be going in my truck. I dont want to run an atlas as my front shaft will become shorter increasing driveline angle and making my rear shaft even longer. They both have their ups and downs IMO Thanks for the Pics BTW
true true. im happy with how long my front shaft is in my blazer at the moment and i do like my rear (with slip yoke still) but ill take those couple extra inches for an atlas or the like. they do have their ups and downs...im just trying to concentrate on keepin weight to a minium! 150 lb atlas or 400 lb doubler? you know my answer there.

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
My doubler weighs 90 Lbs :crazy: Don't fear the gear..
Nice thred on old poo poo. Next time I am in Mandeville im gonna beat the piss out of poo poo.

1 - 20 of 150 Posts