GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Fluffy and Armed
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What size tank should I get for on board air? I plan on sticking it where the stock spare tire goes, any opinions on this? Is a large compressor needed, or will a smaller one be alright since it will not be needed to get the vehicle off the ground; and it can be filling the tank during the trip. Also what should I be looking to spend for this set-up?

P.S. Yeah it will also be running some air horns later...:evil:

·
NCOR
8,449 Posts
What exactly do you need the system to power?

My 7 gallon will power my IR231 impact for a little bit and the ViaAir 550c I have is not fast(in comparison to a York 210 or even a Power Tank type Co2 setup), but its 100% duty cycle will keep up with the inevitable pauses in use.

A smaller unit would keep up with just air horns along with a smaller tank Im sure, but using it otherwise may be an issue.

Filling my tires with my setup is painfully slow. Even though I hve near constant pressure inputting into the 38's, going from 10psi to 30psi takes something like 5 minutes a tire.

As for cost, with the tank, 550c, coalescing filter, air manifold, air hose, fittings, gauges, pressure switch and and whatever else Im missing was in the neighborhood of $500. I did a pretty poor job of keeping track of money spent on that project and I think I want to redo the wiring at least as its kind of a rats nest and the mounts out of wood are heinously ugly. Though I may just say screw it and build a cheap power tank and go with pure simplicity.

·
Fluffy and Armed
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I knew I forgot something in that first post.
This is hopefully going to be for just filling the tires back up to road preasure. Over the weekend I had to drive about twenty minutes before I could find air for my back two tires because it took way too long to do it with one of those small cigarette lighter pumps.

·
Stay Gold!!!!
6,522 Posts
I did it on my truck to fill up the towing bags and the train horn. You can open the door to the spare tire lowering thing to get one end of the hose and their's a valve on the tank to turn the air on. I used a ViAir 450, but it's slow just like bggreenchevy's is...

·
Fluffy and Armed
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When you guys say slow, is it still faster than a plug and play compressor? I try to toss one of those in the truck for when ever I plan of going off the main roads, but man, those are slow! I would be happy as a pig in shit with filling up my tires within ten to twenty minutes to tell you the truth so anything longer (with in reason) would be just fine IMO.

·
NCOR
8,449 Posts
The average cigarette lighter unit will draw about 15a peak and will put out around 1cfm, this is agonizingly slow. The 550c does 2.9cfm and pulls 30a peak which is still not terribly fast with large 37+ tires.

The duty cycle on the smaller comressors Im sure is not 100% as well which means that for every 10 minutes x minutes can be on and x minutes must be off to preserve compressor life. The 550c has a 100% duty cycle meaning it can run continuously without a break.

On a side note a York 210 will put out 4cfm at 90psi at around 1200rpm.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Yeah, my 20# CO2 tank fills up my tires fast. Plus I've used it to run air tools while building duck blinds, and it even helps me dispense beer from kegs!!!! I got about 7 four tire fillups on my 37's this summer from 12psi to 38psi before I filled it back up. And I probably had enough left for 1 or 2 more times. I do alot of beach driving, so it comes in really useful. Especially when the state air pumps are backed up on holiday weekends and I pull up and air mine up in less than half the time the guys at the pump take.

Mine was $50 deposit from beverage company, $17 fill up, $36 for 150PSI static regulator from Source, and $8 for a handle. I got a spare hose and connectors from Harbor Freight for cheap. I plan on adding train horns later. It should be easy, just have to watch really long blasts so you don't freeze the solenoid.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts