GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to add an on/off switch for the aux. power outlets. On my truck there are two of them - just below the air cond/heater controls and next to the cig. lighter in the middle of the dash.
Problem is, I can't get to the wires that lead into them without taking the entire dash apart (which I really don't want to do). Anyone have any ideas on how to do this painlessly?
On another note: I saw a switch advertised on R&D Automotive's web site that would allow bypass of the auto headlights. The website seems to have gone away. Anyone know how to contact them, or another vendor with a similar product.
Thanks.

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
Well they arnt to hard to get to from behind the dash but you can also goto the fuse box, find the fuse for them, unbolt the fuse box and splice a switch wire into the wire behind the fuse. You also should probably use a relay so you dont have all the power running through the switch.

·
Wanna B Jack o all Trades
9,823 Posts
depends on what kinda power he is running through them. Most things like radar and neons are ok, power inverters take more

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My radar detector is hard wired to the fuse box. The only thing usually plugged in to the power outlets is a cell phone 'Roadster' hands free cradle. I want to be able to leave it plugged in all the time and use the switch to kill power to the unit when I park the truck.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'd setup a relay with a switched power source that way you don't even have to manually flip the switch. It will power on when the truck is turned on. if that is above you skills let me know I might be able to help you get it figured out.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I want to be able to turn the outlets on or off. May need to have constant power on occasion. The fuse for the outlets is in the power center under the hood. I'm thinking that the power lead must be in the harness under the dash by the steering column (the one that comes through the firewall). Problem is, I don't know which wire feeds the outlets. Have tried to find a wiring diagram for that harness with no success.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts