GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in adding On Star to my 2001 Silverado. If Im pulling it out of anoter vehicle what do I need to remove? Thanks, Preston.

·
Registered
7,870 Posts
well the rearview mirror, microphone in the ceiling, the antennae, and all the wiring would be a good start.

·
Resident Guinea ***
14,535 Posts
Unfortunatly there is not a way to incorporate current, functional onstar into a 2002 or older GM.

It’s a result of a small 2002 FCC decision allowing cell phone companies to shut down analog networks beginning February 2008. Pre 2003 Onstar equipped vehicles were only available with analog Onstar, and are no longer in operation.

Newer GMs have Digital Onstar, but due to the very different Class 2 Serial Data Bus that exisits between 99-02 and 03+ GM Trucks, incorporating 2003+ OnStar modules and equipment is impossible, as they simply cannot communicate on the existing bus network.

For it to work, you'd need a complete 2003+ donor truck with Onstar, and complete swapping of the entire dash harness, modules, BCM and PCM would be required. Even then, you would need to slip a GM Tech some cash to program everything to your specific truck, and I'm not completely sure that would even fly, due to the year of your truck.

I suggest you look into a bluetooth solution :)

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
MAtt petty much gave the GM Approved version of my repsonse. It would take so much woring and mounting and fabbing, that it would be better to sell your truck and buy on with onstar. Then deaing with everything else between the "unit" and GM.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm already swapping a '03 and up harness for the joe Gibbs cluster. If I pull the antenna and on star stuff out of my friends truck will he have any problems?

·
Fake 4wd Club
3,942 Posts
His onstar will not work, and neither will yours. Its not going to happen.

They're two TOTALLY different harnesses under the dash, lots of different connectors, systems, voltages and resistance specs that will just cause a nightmare on your end. If you want Onstar that bad then its time to upgrade.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Yeah.... I see the logic between the 02 and 03+ trucks. Pre 02 onstar is obsolete. I wonder if I could add onstar to my 04 Yukon though???

Mr. 960

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Yeah.... I see the logic between the 02 and 03+ trucks. Pre 02 onstar is obsolete. I wonder if I could add onstar to my 04 Yukon though???

Mr. 960

You can't get your Bose stereo to work right, and you want to attempt an OnStar swap?

·
GMFS Military Member
10,899 Posts
I wish I could get rid of my freakin Onstar...I stopped paying my truck note a few months ago and Im pretty sure the man is tracking me, :nono:. I need to disable this somehow!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
hey you guys I do audio for a living so let me tell you about the onstar that would have worked for that car well as you probaly know your 01 chevy is a pre data sytem car witch mean you don't need any fancy electronics to do stuff like a radio or an alarm. I also means that the analog on star that those cars use from the factory will not work they cancelled the signal a couple of years ago. now the dealer offers a digital upgrad for abought $1100. and it is pretty much plug and play. it is also the lamest thing you could spend 1100 on it is just a voice nav with a phone kit and is out dated if you want more , better, best, than you will go with a kenwood dnx 6140 it is a tv with nav from garmen and bluetooth and it is cool if your willing to spend more try the 9140 it has a audio prossesor and a bigger screen. as far as any one with a 03 to 09 these are data cars and use computors for every thing and most of the factory electronics have to be coded with your vin so it will work with your car only the dealer can do this so I hope you have the hook up like me :ninja: bottom line unless you have a old truck swaping electronics is not smart. it will always cost more than aftermarket.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Per OnStar

OnStar is a factory-installed option and cannot be installed by a dealer or retailer. They know the VIN of every OnStar vehicle produced.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
You can't get your Bose stereo to work right, and you want to attempt an OnStar swap?
ahhhh..... come on man..... that is a fucken low blow!!! I'm not a dumb ass you know. This is the first time I had a car do this on me. And plus my yukon has no BLOSE radio!!!

Mr. 960

1 - 17 of 17 Posts