GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Gm truck junkie
3,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a set of hd bars off a 99-06, so all i do is switch them left to right and front to back and i should be cool right?

·
Suburbanite
597 Posts
I found a set of hd bars off a 99-06, so all i do is switch them left to right and front to back and i should be cool right?
I might be missing something here but, if you're going to put T-bars from a 2500HD on your truck you would mount them right to right and left to left. Factory HD bars are coded GL and each bar will have a sticker that says RGL for the right side and LGL for the left side. The labeled or stamped end mounts into the T-bar cross member with the keys.

·
Later, Tony
7,265 Posts
I think most people used to swap them from side to side if they were using ford keys. You should be able to load them using your stock "green" keys, or somebody mentioned the purple keys, which HD's use.

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
The reason for flip flopping was for the Bars from an OBS from rough country. I have no clue if the indexing changed from a NBS HD

·
Suburbanite
597 Posts
You should be able to load them using your stock "green" keys, or somebody mentioned the purple keys, which HD's use.
I'm pretty sure the stock green keys will not load the HD bars on a 1/2 ton. You should use the purple keys which are used with these bars on the HD. The stock green keys can used if you want more height on your 8 lug truck as they are indexed more than the purple keys.

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
I'm pretty sure the stock green keys will not load the HD bars on a 1/2 ton. You should use the purple keys which are used with these bars on the HD. The stock green keys can used if you want more height on your 8 lug truck as they are indexed more than the purple keys.
Hovey bayou tried that. They did not load with purple keys in his NBS that being the rough country GH bars. He had to flip flop orientation and use stock green keys.

·
Suburbanite
597 Posts
Hovey bayou tried that. They did not load with purple keys in his NBS that being the rough country GH bars. He had to flip flop orientation and use stock green keys.
That may be true but GH bars do not have as much torque as GK and GL bars which are used on the 8 lug 8600GVW and above trucks depending on the model. The 8600GVW 8 lug trucks use the GK bars with the 2500HD and 3500SRW using the GL bars. I guess there may be exceptions to the rule but as far as I know you cannot load a GK or GL bar on a 1/2 ton with stock Green or Ford Keys.

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
you can but not in their normal orientation. example, pass front side of the bar goes in the friver side key slot.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts