GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
'14 Chevy Silverado Owner
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anybody knows if it's hard and what I would need to make the OnStar system in my 2014 have the OnStar wifi like the 2015 models.

Or is it even worth it?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Or just get a mobile hotspot. Probably better prices for data as well.

·
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well it was more of something I was wondering about doing. I was hoping it wouldn't be that bad of a job to do since I already have On Star activated and it wouldn't cost anything extra per month, just whatever parts I would need. Getting a mobile hotspot I would have to pay per month. Plus it would only be for cell phones, not a tablet or laptop so a hotspot would be more than I would need.

Was just an idea hoping it wouldn't be that bad too do, no big deal. Kind of when I looked up how to add nav to the screen where I would have needed the LTZ trim I believe. That didn't seem that bad, just have to take the dash off and go behind the screen. I can get by with using my phone as a GPS so I can go without the OnStar wi-fi, no big deal lol.

·
2009 GMC Sierra ECSB Z71
4,791 Posts
Getting a mobile hotspot I would have to pay per month. Plus it would only be for cell phones, not a tablet or laptop so a hotspot would be more than I would need.
Why would you want the Wifi feature if it isn't for a tablet or laptop?

·
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Why would you want the Wifi feature if it isn't for a tablet or laptop?
Well that leaves cell phones.... And like I said, it's not that big of a deal. I would only do it if it wasn't that bad or cost too much. But by some of the comments it sounds like a bunch of shit so I'm not going to worry about it. It was just an idea and wondering what it would take too do it.

·
Registered
475 Posts
God, trying to do this would give me nightmares.... Lol. Go buy a 2015.

Sent from Team Sierra
to logical, and he'd have to redo all those crazy mods.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well dude it's not free data anyway. You get 3 months free when you sign up and then you pay $5>200mb, $15>1gb, $30>3gb & $50>5gb or you can buy 200mb @ $5 that's good for a day and 10gb for $150 that's good for 12 months. If you buy a bulk pack the data expired if you don't use it within the set time.

The pricing structure is pretty much the same as you would expect from Verizon/att/T-Mobile/etc., but you can get a mobile hotspot for free and you can bring it with you to use anywhere else you can imagine.

I don't see the advantage of having this ties to your truck.

·
Whatcha wanna do???
1,951 Posts
Way too many apps available out there that can turn any smartphone into a hot spot. I use one called Foxfi so my wife can use her tablet when traveling. It just uses data from your existing data plan on your phone.

The ONLY benefit I could see from the OnStar WiFi is being able to use it in remote areas where you would otherwise normally not be able to get a good signal but OnStar gets a good signal. So unless you need WiFi for work and you frequently travel in remote areas, I see no point.

·
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
to logical, and he'd have to redo all those crazy mods.
I know I don't have any major mods done to the truck. I guess I don't have money like others that have Denalis or put lifts and a bunch of other shit on a brand new truck.

Oh and it's not logical being that it would cost me too much to trade in the '14 and being that it's my only transportation I can't just sell it and then go get a '15.

·
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Again I'll say I was just wondering if it could be done for little money and if it would even be worth it. I'm not going to try to do it. It's not a big deal.

And yes the reason I thought about it was in case I couldn't get even 3G on my phone, but I haven't run into that problem yet so I'm not going to worry about it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts