GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Clit and Tire Liquifier
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw an 05 CC Z with a BL on it and it actually didnt look too bad. I have shyed away from them because my cousin had one on his 97 tahoe and when you hit bumps the body shook quite a bit does it do that on the NBS trucks? What are the really bad/annoyances with a BL? I never driven a truck with one day in and day out only in my cousins truck and I hated how it shook when you hit bumps on or offroad, I DONT want that with my truck. Also if I go with front a rear replacement bumpers is there anyway to mount them to where they match the body and them still be REALLY strong since the front bumper will have a winch in it and the rear hitch will be used to tow a decent amount of weight. Supposedly there is a place near me that can build custom bumpers but I dont even want to know how much that costs. With ford keys, GK bars and mayeb an AAL in the rear will the BL allow me to run 35s on a 20x8.5s with normal backspacing(not the 4.5" like alot of lifted guys go with)? I just want to know what Im getting myself into if I do indeed go that route. If I do a BL I will be getting gap guards. Any particular brand BL better then the others?

·
Registered
8,326 Posts
summit has there bodylift kits which are the same as the performance accessories kits accept in a different box. Its also $100 cheaper, all you will need is the gap guards

·
GMFS Enforcer
3,568 Posts
Do not do a body lift. You have/plan to put a lot of $$ into your truck, don't start skimping now, especially with clearing for larger tires. Don't mean to rain on your parade, I just hate body lifts.

If you were to do a suspension lift, you would be a lot happier.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
id like to see some real facts to why a body lift is such a bad thing?

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
id like to see some real facts to why a body lift is such a bad thing?
There isn't. Suspension wise it's the best thing for your truck. You don't lose any factory geometry, ride, handling,etc.

People don't like them because they see the 88-98 chevy's without gap guards and without their rear bumper lifted up. When you do gap guards and do everything right it looks great.

·
Clit and Tire Liquifier
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There isn't. Suspension wise it's the best thing for your truck. You don't lose any factory geometry, ride, handling,etc.

People don't like them because they see the 88-98 chevy's without gap guards and without their rear bumper lifted up. When you do gap guards and do everything right it looks great.
I kind of feel the same way the truck I saw tonight looked alot better then the OBS stuff I have seen. I may try it, it would be sweet if I could fit 37s on it:D

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
I kind of feel the same way the truck I saw tonight looked alot better then the OBS stuff I have seen. I may try it, it would be sweet if I could fit 37s on it:D
There's no reason why you couldn't fit 37's with a procomp 6" or similar full drop kit and a 3" body lift. With a crank you would be sitting at 10-11" of lift

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
yeah Im new to the offroad/lifted end of trucks but I honestly cant see why people hate them. I just did a 3" on mine and I think its the best $230 ive spent on it. No change in ride, suspension wear etc. Made it easier for building strong tow points and mounting my rock sliders because the frame lined up better. Didnt require any serious mods to the truck itself
And I mean look at it next to a stock truck....really hard to tell that there is a body lift on it.

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
yeah Im new to the offroad/lifted end of trucks but I honestly cant see why people hate them. I just did a 3" on mine and I think its the best $230 ive spent on it. No change in ride, suspension wear etc. Made it easier for building strong tow points and mounting my rock sliders because the frame lined up better. Didnt require any serious mods to the truck itself
And I mean look at it next to a stock truck....really hard to tell that there is a body lift on it.

Plus it actually makes working on your engine a little easier. My buddies headers were much easier since he had a body lift.

·
Cocksmith Extraordinaire
4,777 Posts
damn Jimmy you have to get the Z cleaned up and take some pics with your RC.

·
Clit and Tire Liquifier
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
it will be bars keys and BL no pro comp for now, Im not willing to spend the money for what I get right now, later on a SL will be in order but for now its either keys and bars or an addition of a BL.

·
Registered
78 Posts
i was wondering the same thing. I'm set on a 3" body lift for my 06 Z and it seems that there are a few people who think they are bad. No doubt if I had the money, I would go with a 6" suspension lift but I don't and I don't see any reason to say that a body lift is a "bad alternative" - heck, half the guys who get a suspension lift add body lift later for a little extra lift.

(side question - how do I raise up my step sides when I get the body lift? Does anyone make brackets or should I fab my own?)

·
Paint it Black
142 Posts
some step bars can be raised, but probably only about an inch or maybe two if youre lucky. you could custom fab some mounts, or get some body mounted steps.

·
Registered
78 Posts
i have the stock westin nerf bars from the factory and I guess if I could lift them 2" on a 3" bl that would be fine since my wife would still need them a little low to use. I just wanted to hide the frame as much as I could.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts