GMC Truck Forum banner

Opinions on Harmon Kardon Ipod Drive + Play??

2K views 31 replies 14 participants last post by  brock 
#1 ·
I've been looking for a way to get my Ipod hooked back into my ride ever since I sold the Silvy SS.... In that I had the Alpine IVAD touchscreen w/ the Ipod adapter so everything was nice and clean. The ipod was in the glove box and all my controls were on the screen.

Fastforward to now and I have no intention of spending a ton on A/V in the TBSS... still saving towards the eventual C10 project. With that being said:

• I need a simple solution that doesn't cost big bucks.
  • I want a seperate interface w/ the ipod tucked away (i don't like having to use the ipod to control everything and have it sitting out in a cupholder)
  • Must charge the Ipod while connected... I don't want to have to charge it seperately.
  • NO FM MODULATORS!! Damn I hate that piss poor sound quality!!
  • NO EXPOSED WIRES!! I want something that looks as close to factory as possible.

So I was looking at Best Buy today and picked up a Harmon Kardon Ipod Drive + Play w/ the GM adapter.

I was curious if anyone has used/tried/loved/hated this thing?? Seems like a pretty tight solution... For the GM/Bose adapter its fed via a Y type adapter inline with the antenna on the factory deck... so I guess its 'technically' like an FM modulator, but its actully being pumped in from the line and all the reviews I've read say sound quality doesn't suffer.

I can always return it for a refund ($100 for the unit $30 for the adapter $50 if I want it installed by them) but before I decide to put this thing in or take it back I wanted some input.

Thanks guys.

See less See more
#4 ·
my dad has one and loves it! Idk why your sound quality sucks. his is really good.
Do you know how his is installed??

Looking at it I have 3 options:

1) Built in wireless transmitter (this sounds like crap according to every review I've read)

2) Hard-wired FM - uses a Y adapter to put the signal into the factory deck... I can't tell, but I'm assuming this means I'll still have to tune to an FM frequnecy to get sound, but at least its a physical connection so there won't be any static

3) It came with a 3.5mm -> RCA pair connector, but according to the instructions this would have to connect (obviously) into an AUX port on the head unit or something?? CAN I JUST PLUG THIS THING INTO THE BOSE BRAIN THINGY OR WHAT?? I'd love to be able to run this thing as an Aux source thru the head unit.

#5 ·
anyone??

I at least need to know if there is a set of RCA inputs on the stock deck... its the bose 6 disc factory unit w/ XM.... I have an AUX button on the front that doesn't do shit so I'm assuming there has to be an AUX input... any help is appreciated that'll keep me from tearing my dash out to find the answers myself.

#6 ·
Unless GM changed it on the 03+ radios, the "aux" input is for a tape deck or likely a cd changer from GM parts catalog. PAC made an adapter for my year (00), not sure what they make for the current ones. However I do know that in order for it to work, you had to have the tape deck hooked up. Weird :imo I honestly think an aftermarket radio would be your best bet. The Alpine 9856 is $200 and the ipod adapter cable is another 25. Cheap :imo

#8 ·
you would be much better off going back for the peripheral piece that AUX -ins the ipod into the back of the deck. The Drive and Play has alot of issues even with the hard wired RF modulator. At least with the PE piece you can control the iPod from the radio and charge it

#10 ·
Don't do a FM transmitor. You won't ever be happy with it. I bought one for my girlfriend and its alright for road trips and such, but so much interferance even in remote locations.

If the 'hard wired' connector worked though it would be neat. It's a little cluttered but better than no tunes.

#11 ·
Those inline FM jobs aren't worth a shit, you will NOT be happy with it. That is most definitely an FM modulator. I had Sirius wired into the Bose in my last truck and pulled it out because it sounded terrible. Replaced it with a hardwired Sirius set and sound quality was awesome.

I'd try something like this instead:
http://www.usaspec.com/ipod.html (UI is done using your radio screen...prolly not as good as the HK setup). I have no experience with this particular item...it's just what'd I look into if I was doing it.

If you want to run the HK thing....definitely get an aux-input setup for the GM radio.

#14 ·
$600 isnt even cost on that, its going to be around $670-700 cost. Thats the one I wanna do in the 04 big time!

#16 ·
ive got the Harmon Kardon in mine. i had it hooked up through the fm modulator that hooks directly into the antenna but still got some feedback from it and was about to take it back but decided to keep it because i really like the controls of it!

so now i have it hooked into my deck using a CD changer converter so it the HK goes through the LINE OUT plug into the PAC cd changer converter and into the CD changer port on the back from there...i know confusing but it works really well and i love it.

#17 ·
d, I think I can score a avic d3 for around 600 bones. I know its more, but its got bluetooth, navi, touch screen, and interfaces with the video part of your ipod. I'm getting one for the s fo
If you're serious then HELL YEAH... PM me details. My goal is to keep this whole thing as far under $1k as possible... after spending so much on the setup in the silvy I've lost my taste for multi-monitor, big bass, "show off" systems... especialy in a ride that sees very little mileage anymore.

#19 ·
my friend has the kardon and i'm about to install it . i think it's the best way to go for ipod. the controls are top notch it's just like using the ipod unlike the other adapters where all ur songs just get thrown into ur screen. just dont install it through the fm transmitter. mine is gonna be a custom hook up too the screen will be molded into the little pocket where the airbag key is and the joystick will be drill somewhere in the center of the bottom dash. i'll post pics once it's done.

#24 ·
I can get it at wholesale cost.
I know, so can I, and map is 1,000 on it and cost is closer to 700 and good luck finding one, all hte big boxes are soaking them up first.

Ive started my own car stereo business and am working on suppliers right now

I found this on Crutchfield which looks like it'll convert that AUX on the factory deck to a true line level input... opinions??

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-m7pF10...0900&I=469GM12AX2&search=aux+input+adapter+GM
thats what I was talking about. The quality on those is much higher, but they do have one that does the same thing, charges the ipod and controls it from the radio

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.