GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got an 04 Z71 and I'm looking at getting a lift kit for it. I really like what I've seen with the RCD kit, but what's everyone else's opinion? What's a good price for the 6" lift??? and what is a good estimate for the install? what about wheel and tire sizes that will fit under it? Give me all the info you can... gotta make sure I do this right or the wife will never let me hear the end of it! :guns:

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I like my kit with a 3" body and 2"keys. I run 37's but we put my buddy's 39" mickey and it cleared em' fine. Also mines obs so youll have more room. with just the 6" id go with 36"pj's. just my 2cents

·
Registered
59 Posts
I only need a little trimming on the front with 36's and a 6" lift when I had them on the stock rims they didn't rub at all :rocking:

·
Kyle
1,684 Posts
i would get a 6 inch rcd, 315's on a 16x8 rim. RCD is a good overall kit.

·
OG Member
4,862 Posts
Kyle said:
i would get a 6 inch rcd, 315's on a 16x8 rim.
Thats the perfect combo for that lift. I wouldnt run any larger than a 35" tire and no wider than an 8" wide wheel. Also make sure that when you buy your wheels they have no more than 4.5" backspacing.

MotoHead

·
[>
3,255 Posts
Kyle said:
i would get a 6 inch rcd, 315's on a 16x8 rim. RCD is a good overall kit.
:word:

A 315 on a 8" wheel would be the perfect fit IMO. It should fit nice under the fenders to keep them from rubbing to much and still look good at the same time.
RCD makes a nice kit

·
Blown Daily
656 Posts
Sevenfold said:
Care to explain? These kits will retain your factory steering will also give you more leverage on the tire. The only downside to the traditional knuckle lift is how far the front differential is dropped... there is only one knuckle lift that I know of that drops the front diff the full amount of the lift.
I would suggest the RCD...It is a good lift. I just finished installing one on a 99' Chevy and put 33/12.5/16 X-terrains on it... Looks great.

Jason

·
Registered
199 Posts
Sevenfold said:
Care to explain? These kits will retain your factory steering will also give you more leverage on the tire. The only downside to the traditional knuckle lift is how far the front differential is dropped... there is only one knuckle lift that I know of that drops the front diff the full amount of the lift.

That's strange, I didn't get an email notification that anyone had responded, Hmm oh well. Anyway most knuckle lifts are a cheap way out to doing what should be which is dropping the entire diff... as you pointed out. This increases your CV angles right from the start. Then you have no room to fine tune your Tbars because your CV angles are all ready maxed out. I am not sure I see the point of having a knuckle lift( in the 6-9 inch range) if you are going to drop the diff the full amount. Once you've gone to the trouble to design a complete sub frame, how hard is it to drop the UCA and the steering?
That more leverage on your tire, it works both ways. Where do you think that's going? Right to the tie rod. This is why cognito has upgraded their tierods. No one else has done this. You also end up with an increased track width which creates more leverage.

·
[>
3,255 Posts
This subject is like Politics. Everybody has there side lol.

Both 01 and Seven have great points.
Some people have no need to crank or just want to run 33's or 35's. Or maby never offroad. There are alot of factors why people like each style kit.
Personally I do not like the idea of a Knuckle lift. For many of the reasons 01Z71 said above.
But for some the fulldrop kit style is not there favorite for the reasons Seven has said.

But the question was if RCD a good kit. Yes. IMO
It will get up up in the air, you will look good, it will clear bigger tires, let you go places offroad you could not stock. And it is a strong kit.
Yes you will have worse CV angles at the same height a "fulldrop" kit would. Yes you track width will be wider. And you will not be able to crank as far safely as you would with a fulldrop kit.

Looks at both sides. Pick what you like better. Both stlye lifts have there place. Some like one some like the other.

Just my $.02
Git-R-Done!! :anitoof:

·
Registered
199 Posts
Seven, my original comment was meant to be somewhat tongue in cheek. Obviously, there are thousands of knuckle lifts out there that more or less work. Now, I am not trying to be a smartass, but aren't you proving my point with the fact that Cognito is the only one doing this, shall we say, "right"? There is nothing inherent to the lift knuckle that is bad. (Well the track width but never mind.) The point is the reason why all these lifts use the lift knuckle, they skimped on dropping the diff. If I decide to crank my tbars, its with the understanding that there are certian negative aspects to doing so. These kits have those negative aspects built in.
Now as far as RCD specifically, well all I can say is I got to see the three sets of tie rods that one truck with a RCD lift( +3 body) went through in little over a year. All on the road with 36 inch tires. One more inch in tire height can't make that much difference. Last time I related this to someone they told me that who ever installed the lift must not know what they are doing. I don't know BD, what do you think? Does Gene and his crew know what they are doing or not?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Well obviously they, (the tie rod problems), aren't epidemic or RCD would be out of business. Still, it was enough to make me change my mind.

I guess I will never like a lift knuckle though. Even without the CV angle issues, the way they change the geometry at the wheel bothers me. When you see how close some of them come to the inner rim and sidewall, its scary. If someone were to design a lift knuckle with an off set UCA mount that cleared everything, you would have to design new UCAs to fit it. And that kind of defeats the purpose. At the same time I realize that there is no way you are going to drop your upper and lower control arms 10 inches without having some problems with the forces on drop brackets that long.

BD says RCD is a good lift in his opinon, but you see what he put on his truck. :D :kidding:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts