GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
I'd hit it
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curiuos, what's y'all(yee haw)take on the BBK 80mm throttle body for Silvy Vortecs. I never really noticed it as a mod on most people's motors...is the price tag ($350)a deterent? or are they just bunk? I do have a radix, but i am wondering if a larger mouth for the motor would make a difference for the radix...i couldn't imagine it not helping. THNX!

·
Rollin with Saget
1,594 Posts
well more air in the engine and more air outta the engine has always been the way to make power... so, theorietically it should work.

im just not sure

·
Registered
406 Posts
The BBK 80 MM TB was originally on my to buy list. But from what I have heard, for the most part, the stock unit is fine and flows plenty of air unless you are making some serious HP. HP like in the 500HP range from what I was told. That plus the price tag are the major deterents. Now mind you, I am sure that the upgraded TB has its advantages, more likely than not you could see 5 HP gain, improved throttle response, but my guess is that would be about it. Not a lot of reason to blow 350+ bucks.

I still think that maybe eventually I might get one, but it would be one of my very last mods, after the pulley and e-fans and headers, etc, etc, etc.......

·
Registered
46 Posts
Your money would be better spent on other mods like headers, e-fan, etc. an aftermarket TB will shows gains if you are into things like blowers or turbos. adding a TB like this to a pretty much stock truck may cause you to rough idle or even stall and may need your PCM tweaked to compensate.

·
I'd hit it
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well...I agree with you SierraCrew, but here I am near the end of my mod list. :D I haven't dyno'ed yet, but with internal motor mods and the radix(11.5psi at WOT) I am figuring I am pushing 500hp if not 550. It is screaming fast for a 4900lb hunk of metal with wheels. And every so often...it just can't seem to wanna idle...we are figuring that among other things...a larger IAC chamber would be helpful...ie larger TB.

I figure if I pick up the BBK I'll definitely need to have Allen retune for more air...would really hate to run this sweet little motor lean.

I had an error code for the MAF...the code was saying it couldn't read incoming air rate...too high. The freeze frame snapped a picture at 94mph 4986rpms and WOT. You guys think a better MAF is necessary...but I hear they make you run more lean as well. I want more air...but not more air by itself.

·
I'd hit it
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am MOD'ed pretty far Lil Devil...

2000 Silvy Z71 1500 5.3L(bored 20 1/1000ths over)-K&N FIPK,Radix w/3.0 pulley, Comp218/224 .563/.568 115,CNC P&P heads w/dual springs,JE forged SC'r pistons w/valve cuts,Rollmaster timing set,160stat,new wires,TR6's,Dynatech headers&Hiflow cats and Y-Pipe w/3" duals all the way back into 2 Aero-Turbine Mufflers,heavy heavy duty 4L60 w/ Transgo Kit and vette servo,YankTT3000,Oversized Brembo front brakes w/SS 20"Rims,CalvertRacing traction bars,HellWing front and rear sway bars,w/4.10 front and rear.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
If you add it, you'll want to consider port matching the intake of the blower to the TB so it will accept the flow of it.

Also, I'd consider porting the compressor of your blower and perhaps a phenolic spacer. A buddy of mine has one on an '03 Cobra, nice SOTP difference. Also get a BIG heat exchanger on there, a Honda radiator would work nicely.

Now it's time to increase efficiency of what you have...

·
Registered
378 Posts
i think the bbk is overated. it will yield power up top. but remember. the outside diameter is 80mm. but the intake is still what 75 i think. could be 78 but i think it is still 75mm in the intake. i have a shaner ported tb and i like it. and it cost less.

·
I'd hit it
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmmm...I didn't even think about the radix port being designed for stock motors...hence stock TB's. Awesome point. phenolic spacer...know anyone that'll make one for my application? $$$yikes$$$

and 02denali...shaner? s2performance.net found them...very interesting. Does your shaner accomplish the same thing as the BBK...power up top or because better porting it gives more elsewhere? Just glancing at the website I didn't see too much details on ordering information. You don't have a blower but plenty of breathing room along side that tune and nitrous I see the point...but how about standard hauling ass with hittin the N20...would you say that shaner is making a large enough difference that people like ourselves should have it on their mod list?

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
dewmanshu said:
Hmmm...I didn't even think about the radix port being designed for stock motors...hence stock TB's. Awesome point. phenolic spacer...know anyone that'll make one for my application? $$$yikes$$$

and 02denali...shaner? s2performance.net found them...very interesting. Does your shaner accomplish the same thing as the BBK...power up top or because better porting it gives more elsewhere? Just glancing at the website I didn't see too much details on ordering information. You don't have a blower but plenty of breathing room along side that tune and nitrous I see the point...but how about standard hauling ass with hittin the N20...would you say that shaner is making a large enough difference that people like ourselves should have it on their mod list?

Well that intake elbow should be removable...so I'd consider polishing it and opening the inlet for that BBK.

I'd make your own spacer... just need longer bolts. 1" should be fine. It'll reduce the air charge temp.

I pointed out the Shaner TB's back when I was a member of LS1tech, he's a local guy to me (North Texas) and does them for a reasonable fee.

Anyone considered porting a stock truck intake? I'm sure you could open the throttle throat a few MM to the 80 as the BBK size...

·
I'd hit it
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Shweet...thnx for the help! I'll think about shaner for now! :shake:

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Sure not a problem. :D

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hit Man X said:
If you add it, you'll want to consider port matching the intake of the blower to the TB so it will accept the flow of it.

Also, I'd consider porting the compressor of your blower and perhaps a phenolic spacer. A buddy of mine has one on an '03 Cobra, nice SOTP difference. Also get a BIG heat exchanger on there, a Honda radiator would work nicely.

Now it's time to increase efficiency of what you have...
I believe that the BBK throttle body comes with a spacer. I am sure my buddies did. You should be able to find out from someone that sells the BBK's. I have no clue as to whether it could be used with you guys setups though.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Yup, the BBK comes with a spacer.

I've been wonder as of late if you can port the inlet of the stock intake to accept the 80mm TB without the use of the spacer...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just so you guys know, when my buddy put his BBK on his truck the gas pedal was very stiff. Wouldn't keep me from getting one if i wanted it, just a heads up.

Also he didn't think it gave him any performance on motor, but he thinks it helps when he's sprayin'.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts