1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
$99 at costco.

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
I went with a yellow top...$160 at every store around here...badass battery tho...i love it...and i think the red tops around here are 99 also...

·
Cap'n
561 Posts
I've wanted an optima.....but havent done much research....I'm guessing the yellow is a better battery than the red?

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
The difference is that the yellow top is made for deep cycle applications and meant to be discharged without hurting it (running stereo for hours with engine off, KC lights etc), while the red top is a starting battery that is meant for starting the vehicle. I've got a red top, has given me no trouble in the year that i've owned it.

·
5,501 Posts
The reason i got my yellow top is for the kcs and i do love to run my stereo w/o the truck on for long periods of time...great for washing the truck or whatever...yellow top was more for me than i thought the red would be...

·
Cap'n
561 Posts
Well my tahoe, like every other tahoe as far as a I know, can be rigged up for two batteries....so how about a red top and a yellow top?? Or would that just be retarded? :crazy:

·
5,501 Posts
Theres somethin ive seen online that cops run...its 2 diff batts, one start, one deep cycle for thier emergency lights and stuff...it charges both batts but when the cars off, it only allows the deep cycle to be used so they will still be able to start up thier car afterwards...you could do something like that with a red and yellow top...they cost about $70, but i would just go with 2 yellow tops for that price difference...you could prob leave headlights on for like 24 hrs then and still be able to start the truck...lol

·
Cap'n
561 Posts
Well since I'm in Northern California...I don't really need to worry about needing the extra power to start in severly cold weather....So I guess whenever I get my Optima I'll go with the yellow. By the way, I've seen some Billet Optima Battery Boxes which are pretty slick looking but I'm wondering if there is any modification needed to the cradle the battery already sits in, in our trucks, if I wanted to use one.

·
5,501 Posts
ohhh yeah...my yellow top has 750 cca i believe...i don't know how much more the red have, but i don't believe its that much more...

·
Registered
28 Posts
IF YOU WANT TO SAVE SOME MONEY AND STILL HAVE A GREAT BATTERY GO TO AUTO ZONE AND GET A DURALAST GOLD IT HAS MORE CRANKING AND COLD CRANKING AMPS THAN THE YELLOW TOP OPTIMA. :ninja:

·
5,501 Posts
If i had wanted a regular battery, i woulda just gotten a cheap replacement for $40...i wanted to not have to worry about batter acid and all teh other shit...plus, its a deep cycle...200 cycle batter, compared to 25 cycle...tons of reserve, great for everything i needed...i considered gettin 2 cheaper batteries...but if u think about it, its like gettin a decent paper air filter compared to a k&n...sure papers are alright...but just don't compare to k&n performancewise...plus the yellow top just looks cool.

·
Chevrolet Owner
315 Posts
DAGOAT said:
IF YOU WANT TO SAVE SOME MONEY AND STILL HAVE A GREAT BATTERY GO TO AUTO ZONE AND GET A DURALAST GOLD IT HAS MORE CRANKING AND COLD CRANKING AMPS THAN THE YELLOW TOP OPTIMA. :ninja:
yeah but can you mount a duralast gold in an possition or at any angle? petersons just did a review on 4 batteries and i think the optima was the best for all but one catagory and it came in a very close second.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
DAGOAT said:

Theres alot more to batteries than just the CCA and CA...

A while back in my dad's suburban the alternator died, on the other side of houston. I drove out there, we swapped batteries. I took his dead one and put it in the blazer, he took my red top and put it in the suburban. Started the suburban (454 no less), jumped my truck (remember alternator on suburban is gone), drove the suburban a good hour through rush hour traffic with headlights on, got home, swapped the batteries back, and the blazer still started right up. Not a bad battery if you ask me. :head:

·
5,501 Posts
Whiffles got a good testiment for the batteries...it really isn't all about CA and CCA...reserve cap was a big thing for me, and i knwo the optimas are awesome for that...thats a lot of stress on a starting batter to constantly run all the electrical stuff, esp with lights on, for an hr...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts